The Buddhist Church of Oxnard bought the land at the corner of Pleasant Valley Road and Etting Road in 1908. An alternate version of the history relates that the Masonic Lodge gave the land to the Japanese community because Japanese were not permitted to own land in California. The cemetery received a designation as a Ventura County Historical Landmark in 1972. Its maintenance is organized by the Ventura County Chapter of the Japanese American Citizens League. Many of the deceased resting in the cemetery were immigrant men with no family in the United States. There are many unreadable headstones. The JACL is recording the information on the approximately 130 headstones. For many buried in this spot, there is no more that first and last name. The last burials were around 1960. Many markers were wooden boards with Japanese inscriptions.