Opportunities for Learning
VCGS provides a number of ways for you to
learn more about family history research.
All of them are open to members and non-members alike.
Most are free of charge
- Attend our monthly lectures to hear from prominent genealogists on best practices, useful resources for finding records, and the latest techniques for tracking down ancestors (FREE)
- Sign up for our annual all-day seminar in October for an in-depth learning experience from a well-known speaker (nominal fee required)
- Join our weekly Wednesday morning workshop at the Camarillo Library to exchange ideas with other genealogists of all levels of experience (FREE)
- Come to one of our monthly breakout mini-workshops on beginning genealogy, DNA, or family story writing on Wednesday mornings at the Camarillo Library (FREE, limited to 5 attendees)
- Go along on our periodic guided field trips to local generalogical libraries (FREE)
- Join us for our annual week-long trip to the Family History Library in Salt Lake City (travel expenses)
- Participate in one (or more!) of our regularly scheduled Special Interest Groups to drill down into specialty areas such as British, Irish, German research, DNA, or technology topics (FREE)
- Consult with our library volunteers for one-on-one help learning how to use our library or just getting started with genealogy (FREE)
- Check out our FACTS and LINKS lists for blank pedigree forms, links to beginner tutorials and more (FREE)