Springville — A Place that Used to Be

The Highway 101 off-ramp named “Springville” is near where the old settlement of Springville was located. The Homestead Act of 1862 brought migrants to California and Ventura County in search of farmland. Public land was scarce, particularly in the survey area, as many ranchos had not been patented at this time; hearings were still being held over the ownership of these lands. Ultimately, a small triangle of public lands between the ranchos El Rio, Guadalasca, and Calleguas was made available for homesteading, and became the site of the small community of Springville.

Springville seems to have been named for a large spring that was at this location.  The spring is shown on the plat of Rancho Santa Clara del Norte, surveyed in 1860.  The spring was probably part of the attraction that brought settlers who started the town here in the late ‘60s.  By 1878 there were two general stores, a blacksmith shop, a comfortable hotel, a restaurant and two feed stables.  When the railroad reached Saticoy in 1897, Springville lost part of its business.  Then, with the establishment of Camarillo in 1900 and the railroad there in 1902, Springville had reached its end.  Springville was located on the present Ventura Freeway, where it would be intersected by Wood Road if that were continued north of the Air Force Base.  A post office was established August 24, 1875 and discontinued November 30, 1903. The off-ramp for Highway 101 named “Springville” is near where the old settlement of Springville was located.