Biographical Sketches H-I-J Surnames
"A Memorial and Biographical History of the
Counties of Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, and Ventura Counties"
By Yda Addis Storke
Abner Haines, a prominent rancher near Santa Paula, is one of California's pioneers, who came to the State in 1853. He was born in York County, Maine, October 10, 1823. His father, Samuel Haines, was also a native of that State, born in April, 1800. His grandfather, Samuel Haines, Sr., was also born there, before that portion of the Union became a State. The ancestors of the family came originally from England to Massachusetts. Abner's mother, whose name before marriage was Silvia Woodsum, was also born in Maine, the daughter of Abner Woodsum, a native of that State and a participant in the early wars with the Indians. Mr. Haines, the eldest of six children, all living, began teaching school when a young man, but soon bought an interest in a saw-mill and worked in the lumber business and also at farming. On his arrival in California, in 1853, he engaged in mining in Indian Creek, the Middle Yuba, Forest City and Moore's Flat, with many ups and downs, finally leaving the mines with $900. As a sample of his luck it may be mentioned that one time he bought $300 worth of potatoes, at ten cents a pound, and planted them; and when digging time arrived they were so cheap that he gave them away rather than to leave his work, where he was getting $100 a month. After leaving the mines he followed teaming for a time and then obtained a section of State land, on which he raised hay and live-stock. He sold his hay at Marysville, cut about 200 tons, receiving about $10 a ton. Four and a half years afterward he sold out and took a Government claim in Sutter County, which was at that time in appearance a poverty-stricken cow pasture. Commencing in 1861 he improved it and raised grain there until 1867. Then he came to Santa Paula and purchased 150 acres of land, to which he has since added fifty acres more. On this property he was also a pioneer, and has made it a beautiful home, characteristic of Southern California. When he arrived here there were probably not more than two houses between Ventura and Camulos in the whole Marine Valley. He paid $10 per acre for his land, and it is now worth $200 per acre. The second year he was on the place he planted his orange and lemon trees, which are now in bearing. The first year he raised wheat, but he is now raising Lima beans; last year (1889) on 100 acres he raised 100 tons, which are worth five cents, but that is very high. Mr. Haines first voted for Stephen A. Douglas for President, but since that time has been a Republican. He is a member of the Baptist Church.
In 1864 he married Charlotte Goodwin, a native of Maine, born in 1833, and daughter of Governor Goodwin, of that State. They have had three children, of whom two are now living - Maud, born in Sutter County and married to Samuel Henderson, and lives near her father; Edith, born in Santa Paula, is living at home.
E. P. Hall is one of the successful ranchers of Ventura County. His father, William Hall, was a native of Berkshire, Massachusetts, and his grandfather, Parker Hall, was born in Rhode Island, and was a soldier in the Revolution war. They were of English descent. Mr. Hall's mother, Sarah (Dyer) Hall, was born in West Troy, New York. Her father, William Dyer, was an early settler on the Hudson River, and used to run the first ferry across the river there. William Hall was twice married, and had eight children by the first wife and four by the second. The subject of this sketch was the youngest child by the first marriage, and was born August 14, 1833. His mother dying when he was a year and a half old, he was thus early in life bereft of her love and care, and when he was four years old he went to live with his aunt. Six years later she died, and he was then put on a farm to live until he was twenty-one years old, when he was to have a suit of clothes and $100. During that period he attended school a part of the time in the winter, and at other times he was engaged in work on the farm. As he terms it himself, he was educated with the hoe and between the plow handles. He may be said to have educated himself. He then taught school in the winter and worked on the farm, by the month, in the summer. The usual price for farm work was $10 per month, but a part of the time he received $13, because he was considered a reliable hand. He received $15 per month for his first school, and taught ten terms. In the fall of 1856 he went to Iowa, and taught and worked until he was able to buy 115 acres of land. This he improved by building, etc., the whole costing him $3,300. After living there ten years, he sold the place for $6,200. He then removed to Red Oak, Montgomery County, Iowa, and bought 160 acres of land, unimproved, on which he erected buildings, residing there eight years. At that time it was considered one of the best improved farms in the township.
Mr. Hall spent the year 1882 in California, for the benefit of his wife's health. The changed of climate saved her life, and in 1884 they sold out and came to Ventura and bought their present comfortable home and thirty acres of land. The house and grounds are pleasant and attractive and the locality is delightful. Mr. Hall has acquired such a habit of industry that he would not be happy unless engaged in some active employment. Since coming to this sunny land he has devoted his time to the cultivation of fruit and vegetables, has been more especially interested in the production of beans, having raised from 1,600 to 2,200 pounds to the acre. The price for Lima beans, in 1890, is $4 per hundred pounds.
October 19, 1859, the subject of this sketch was united in marriage with Miss Lucy Ann Ballou, a native of Essex County, New York. The Ballou family were Rhode Island people, their ancestors having settled there with Roger Williams, in 1645. Mr. and Mrs. Hall have two living children, Edward and Elmer E., both born in Farmersburg, Iowa. The older son resides in this valley, and the younger is now taking a scientific course of study in the university at Los Angeles. In Clayton, Iowa, Mr. Hall was elected Justice of the Peace, and served four years. He has been a Republican ever since the organization of that party. Both he and his wife and sons are members of the Methodist Church.
E. S. Hall. a prominent business man of San Buenaventura, was born near Fairmont, Marion County, Virginia, February 27, 1854; and his father, Robert Hall, was also born near the same town. His grandfather, Rynear Hall, also a native of Virginia, a son of Jordan Hall, who was born in Delaware, went at an early age to Virginia. His father was Thomas Hall, of Dover, Delaware, born in 1724, died in 1772. Mr. Hall's mother, whose maiden name was Sarah Hayhurst, also a native of Virginia, was a descendant of old residents of that State. E. S., the subject of this sketch, had no brother, but has one sister, who is now the wife of Henry Roberts, of Virginia. The mother died when E. S. was but two years old, and the father now resides in Iowa. The subject of this sketch was brought up by his uncle, E. B. Hall, now of Santa Barbara. His early education was received from private tuition before the day of public schools in Virginia. Later he was a attendant at public schools, and also at Lincoln Academy and the normal school. He read law in the office of his uncle, Judge E. B. Hall, who was a member of the firm of Hall & Hatch. He was with them three years 1876-'79, and October 7 of the latter year he came to San Buenaventura, where he has since been in the practice of his profession, and also engaged in real estate and insurance. For two years he was District Attorney, his services being satisfactory to the public. He is a Republican, but has not sought office. He owns considerable real estate. He built a good house on Santa Clara street, but, receiving a good offer for it, he sold it and is now preparing to build a better house, - one that will be an ornament to the town.
Mr. Hall is an active and pleasing business man, with a very large acquaintance in the county. His office is on the first floor, on Main street, in the center of the business, and is well equipped in every particular for the comfort and convenience of his patrons, as well as for his own health and comfort. He is a gentleman of "all-around" business tact and a well read lawyer.
Mrs. Robertine Hall, his wife, is a daughter of Judge Hines, the first Superior Judge of the county, who was a Grand Master Mason and High Priest of the order in California. She was born in Vincennes, Indiana, is a graduate of the San Jose State Normal School, and has a host of friends throughout the State. Mr. and Mrs. Hall have tow children: Edwin, who was born in Ventura, January 4, 1884, and Alice, born in the same place, December 28, 1886. Mrs. Hall is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Hall had Presbyterian parents, but is not a member of the church. He is a member of Blue Lodge, Royal Arch and Knight-Templar divisions of Free Masonry, and both himself and wife are members of the O. E. S.
Harvey Hardison, deceased, late one of the prominent business men and oil-well operators of Santa Paula, was born in Aroostook County, Maine, February 9, 1844. Natives of the same State were also his father Ivory and his grandfather Joseph Hardison; and it is believed that the family originated in Sweden. Harvey's mother, Dorcas (Abott) Hardison, was born in China, Kennebec County, Maine, and her ancestors were English and Irish. In their family were eight sons and three daughters, all of whom excepting one are yet living.
Mr. Hardison, the subject of this memoir, was the eighth in this family, inheriting a fine physical organization and a good disposition, and was reared to strict temperance habits, using neither tobacco nor strong drink. At the age of twenty-one years he began work for himself in the oil regions of Pennsylvania, drilling for oil. About two years afterward he obtained an outfit, began to take contracts and for five years drilled wells for Lyman Stewart, now of Los Angeles. He then began drilling for himself, as well as for others, having an interest in Shangburg and in Venango County, Pennsylvania. He bored about 300 wells, ranging from 800 to 2,000 feet in depth. The time required for sinking the deepest well then required about three months; but now the same work can be done in about one month.
In 1883 Mr. Hardison came to Newhall, California, and superintended the putting down of the Hardison & Stewart wells at Pico. They sank four wells before "striking oil." The fifth well, called the Star, was a good producer, yielding fifty barrels per day. In Adams, Saltmarsh and Aliso canons he superintended the drilling of oil wells. In tunnels from some of these electric lights are employed to work by, and all the latest improvements in the oil-well business are brought into use. One well in Adams Canon gave a flow of 1,000 barrels per day. In the Saltmarsh Canon the company has four producing wells, one of them having yielded 100,000 barrels of oil. In the Adams Canon one well produced 125,000 barrels. These wells are from 250 to 1,750 feet deep. They have also producing wells in Santa Paula Canon and three in the Aliso Canon and five in the Ojai. At the time of his recent death, Mr. Hardison had a fourth interest in the Santa Paula Horse and Cattle Company, who have a ranch of 6,400 acres stocked with horses and cattle, some of which are thoroughbred stock. Mr. Hardison owned other property.
Mr. Hardison was appointed Postmaster of Santa Paula in April, 1889, and his daughter Ida was employed as assistant and his son Frank as deputy. Mr. Hardison was a member of the A. O. U. W., of the Universalist Church and of the Republican party. April 4, 1890, he met his death from explosion of gas in one of the oil tunnels in Adams Canon, where he was superintendent. It was supposed that the explosion was so sudden and forceful that death was instantaneous. His bereaved wife and children bore the fearful calamity with great fortitude. Mr. Hardison was a noble, generous and large-hearted man, and a pleasant and kind husband and father, and was also esteemed highly by all who knew him.
His marriage took place in 1869, when he wedded Miss Delphina M. Wetherbee, a native of Crawford County, Pennsylvania, born September 14, 1848, a daughter of Franklin Wetherbee, who was born in New York. Mrs. Hardison is a member of the Presbyterian Church at Santa Paula, and has proved herself an excellent wife and mother. There are two sons and two daughters, all of whom are also members of the same church. Ida A. was born in Centerville, Crawford County, Pennsylvania, August 2, 1870; Franklin I., January 20, 1872, in Parker City, Pennsylvania; Seth J., November 14, 1874, in Turkey City, Pennsylvania, and Ruth M., in the same place, January 16, 1877.
Lewis A. Hardison is a native of Maine, born August 9, 1853. His father, Olive A. Hardison, was born in the same State, May 18, 1830. Their ancestry is the same as that of W.L. Hardison whose history appears in this book, and who is an uncle of the subject of this sketch. Lewis A. Hardison's mother, nee Mary O'Leary, was born at Frasier Mills, New Brunswick, in the year 1824. He was the oldest son in a family of seven childre, four sons and three daughters, five of whom are now living. Mr. Hardison received his education in the public schools of his native State, and remained on the farm until he was nineteen years of age. At that time he went to the oil regions of Pennsylvania, and in 1872 became a driller of wells, working seven years for wages. In 1879 he got an outfit and began to drill wells under contract. During the eleven years that he worked there he was engaged on as many as fifty-three wells, their average depth being about 1,400 feet, and average cost of drilling $1,000 each. Four men are employed on each well, and termed a drilling crew, two drillers and two tool-dressers, on of each for each four, changing at 12 M. and at midnight. When the Hardison-Stewart Oil Company commenced operations in California, in 1883, he came to Santa Paula and for four years did the company's blacksmith work at Pico and Santa Paula. Mr. Hardison is the inventor and has patented a well drilling machine of great simplicity and merit, which he used with great advantage in putting down water wells in New York during the fall and winter of 1882-'83. For some time he has been the master mechanic of the Hardison-Stewart Oil Company, built their tanks and rigs, and superintended the putting up of their telephone lines and the laying of their pipe lines. He is now superintendent of the Mission Transfer Company, and looks after the gauging of the oil, sees where it goes and keeps an account of the barrels of oil that go through their pipes. They have seventy miles of telephone and ninety miles of four and two-inch pipe lines.
December 25, 1877, Mr. Hardison was united in marriage to Miss Margaret A. Brooking, a native of St. Johns, New Foundland, born July 22, 1851. They have had seven children, five of whom are living, viz.: Oliver J., Clara E., Arthur J., Bert and Lewis. He and his wife are members of the Universalist Church of Santa Paula. His political views are Democratic, and independent when he pleases. He was made a Master Mason July 14, 1875. Mr. Hardison has a pleasant home situated on Eighty street, between Santa Paula street and Railroad avenue.
Wallace L. Hardison, of Santa Paula, is one of the most prominent business men of Ventura County or Southern California. Joseph Hardison, the originator of the family in America, came to that part of Massachusetts now embraced in the State of Maine before the Revolution, and it is believed from Sweden. His son, Joseph Hardison, and his grandson, Ivory Hardison, and his great grandson, Wallace L. Hardison (the subject of this sketch), were all born in Caribou, Aroostock County, Maine. Mr. Hardison's father was born in 1802, and he dates his own birth in August 26, 1850. His mother, Dorcas (Abbott) Hardison, was born in China, Kennebec County, Maine, in 1804, and was a descendant of the old Abbott family, statesmen and authors of the early history of the country. There were eleven children in his family, of whom he was the youngest. His education was received in the public schools and a short course in the Holton Academy; before reaching maturity his business had been that of farming. In 1869, when nineteen years of age he came to Humboldt County, California, where for a short time he worked for wages; soon, however, he began to work for himself, as a contractor, in a small way. In the fall of 1870 he went East to Pennsylvania, and engaged in work for his brother, who was controlling the drilling of oil wells. In the course of a year he was taken into partnership, and in another year he began to operate for oil on his own account. While in Pennsylvania he was connected with the drilling of 300 oil wells. The first well he owned was the Eaton and Grant, the time occupied on it before it began to produce oil was about three months, and its production was 100 barrels per day. While engaged in the oil business in Pennsylvania, he purchased the Eaton farm in Saline and Ellsworth counties, Kansas, and afterward purchased other lands adjoining, to the amount of 10,000 acres, which he stock with horses, cattle and hogs, introducing some fine blooded horses to improve the stock. After running this property eight years, a stock company was formed, and half of the stock was sold to F. G. Babcock, of New York, and the other half was sold the following April. July 1, 1888, Mr. Hardison took stock and started the National Bank of Saline, Kansas, and for four years owned the controlling interest and was its president until March, 1885, when he sold his interest; but he is still a stockholder. In 1882, with other gentlemen, he organized the Eldred Bank of McLean County, Pennsylvania, and was its president until 1884, and still retains stock. Through the influence of Mr. Lyman Stewart Mr. Hardison, in April, 1883, visited the oil regions of Ventura and Los Angeles counties, and was so impressed with the country - the prospect for oil, the fertility of the soil and the excellent climate - that he decided to move here, which he did in July 17, 1883. In connection with Lyman Stewart, Milton Stewart and others, they drilled seven wells, six at Pico Canon and one at Santa Paula Canon. Only one of these wells was a producing well, which yielded a large amount, and is still producing splendidly. They have organized the Hardison-Stewart Company, and have drilled forty wells. They also organized the Sespe Oil Company, composed of Thomas R. Bard, Daniel McFarland and others, and have drilled twenty-seven wells. In connection with Thomas Bond, W. Chaffee, Messrs. Stewart, Dolbeer and others they have built pipe lines from the wells to Hueneme, Ventura, and Santa Paula, and a refinery at Santa Paula. This crude oil is shipped all over the country, and the refined oil finds the principal market at San Francisco and Los Angeles. They also manufacture lubricating oils, gas oils and asphaltum. Their grade petroleum is largely used for fuel, for the generation of steam. They built a steamboat, at a cost of about $65,000 to carry oil in bulk to San Francisco; her capacity was 160,000 gallons. It caught fire and burned at the dock, and has not yet been replaced.
Mr. Hardison has assisted in the organization of the First National Bank of Santa Paula, and is one of the directors and a stock-holder. He has been a factor in the organization of the Universalist Church of Santa Paula, and also in the starting of the Santa Paula Academy. He is president of the Horse and Cattle Company. In 1883 he bought 6,400 acres of the ex-Mission Rancho, and a company was formed to which he sold the ranch. Before organizing the company he had sold interests in the ranch to his brother, Harvey, and to his nephew, C. P. Collins, and also to John R. D. Say, At the time of organization the company had about 500 head of cattle. Mr. Hardison still retains stock in this enterprise. In 1885 he imported twenty thoroughbred registered Holstein cows and a bull from Holland, through a cattle firm of Hornellsville, New York, They are doing finely. Mr. Hardison is present of and a stockholder in the Santa Paula Hardware and Stove Company, who have just completed a very large and expensive store building, an ornament to the place and a credit to their reputation. It is fully stocked to demand all the modern requirements in the line of hardware. The building is 62 x 80 feet, with a rear addition 40 x 60 feet, for stoves, making the total depth 140 feet. Mr. Hardison is also a director of the Los Posos Land & Water Company, conducting an extensive enterprise. His home place, of eighty acres, is situated in a beautiful locality in the Santa Paula Canon, a mile and a quater from town, where they enjoy a beautiful view of the surrounding country. Mr. Hardison has here built an elegant house, on a beautiful site, surrounded with grounds, to his taste, where he enjoys the comforts of home life. When in Pennsylvania, he represented his district in the Legislature during the exciting sessions of 1880-'81. In his political views he is a Republican; in his religious, a Universalist, and he is a total-abstinence man with reference to strong drink and tobacco. He has a fine physical development and is a splendid representation of the self-made American business man.
In 1875, Mr. Hardison was united in matrimony with Miss Clara McConnell, of Venango County, Pennsylvania. Her father, William Benjamin Harrison McDonald, now resides in Santa Paula. Mr. and Mrs. Hardison have five children, three of whom are living, namely: Guy Lyman, born in Clarion County, Pennsylvania, April 3, 1876; Gussie, born in McKean County, Pennsylvania, May 30, 1880, and Hope, born in Santa Paula, April 2, 1889.
J. S. Harkey. - Among the well know pioneers of California we find the name of J. S. Harkey. He was born in Cabarrus County, North Carolina, October 27, 1829. He was the son of Isaac Harkey, a resident of North Carolina for many years and afterward of Arkansas, from 1839 to 1872, when his death occurred in that State. His mother, Cottin P. M. (Shinn) Harkey, was born and reared in North Carolina. The progenitors and the family on both sides were German, but long residents of America. The subject of this sketch was the fourth of a family of fifteen children, and was reared and educated in Arkansas. When he became of age he rented land from his father and engaged in farming for a time. He afterward went to school and studied law. A siege of typhoid fever at this time resulted in his abandoning the idea of engaging in the legal profession. After two or three years' farming, he became a clerk in Norristown, on the Arkansas River, and eighteen months later bought out his brother's partner and engaged in business. Having met with losses in various ways, in 1858 he closed out his interests there, and, with his wife and son Thomas, then two years old, came to California. He left $1,500 due him, from which he never realized a cent. He arrived in San Francisco December 15, 1858, and the same evening left for Russian River, Sonoma County. He there lived on a rented farm eleven years, and was not out of the county during that time. In 1869 he located in what was then Santa Barbara County, now Ventura, and bought a squatter's claim in Pleasant Valley, supposing it to be Government land. When he arrived here he had, all told, property and money, about $1,500. He bought the grant to get title to his land and gained his suit, but afterward lost everything. In 1872 his wife was taken sick with typhoid fever and died February 26, that year, and he was left with a family of helpless children, without means. He manfully overcame his troubles, and cared for his family without remarrying. In the fall of 1873 he was elected Justice of the Peace of Hueneme Township, serving two years. In the fall of 1875 he was elected County Assessor, and served four years. He is a Democrat, but was nominated by both parties. In the spring of 1877 he bought twenty acres of land where he now resides, at a cost of $70 per acre. He has planted fruit trees of different kinds on his place, but his principal crop is corn and beans. The land produces from 1,800 to 2,400 pounds ob beans to the acre, and they bring $2 and more per 100 pounds. Mr. Harkey has raised 4,600 pounds of shelled corn to the acre. He is farming adjoining lands.
Mrs. Harkey's maiden name was Mary Ann Petray. She was a native of Arkansas. They were married in Arkansas and had a family of six children, three sons and three daughters, viz.: Thomas N., George W., William D., Ida May, Fanny and Laura Ann.
Mr. Harkey is a man of his word, a strictly temperate man; and has been a Master Mason for thirty-seven years.
E. W. Harrold is one of the many prominent citizens who lived in the beautiful valley of Saticoy. He was born in Wayne County, Indiana, November 8, 1839, and is the son of Jonathan Harrold, a planter, born in Virginia, of English ancestry. When the subject of this sketch was two years old his parents removed to Illinois, where he was reared and educated. For a number of years he was engaged in stock-raising for beef, conducting the business on a large scale. he moved from that State to Texas, where he spent ten years in the same business. In 1886 he came to San Francisco, and from there to his present ranch, five miles and a half nearly due west of Santa Paula, where he owns 2,500 acres of choice land. He has erected a new house on an eminence overlooking the whole valley, the view from which is exceedingly beautiful. The entire valley, with its fine ranches and comfortable homes, and the mountains opposite, is a picture that the visitor beholds with delight and does not soon forget. Mr. Harrold's residence can be seen for many miles in every direction. A large portion of the ranch is planted to olives. They are devoting 375 acres to walnuts, and fifty acres to corn. Some thoroughbred Jersey cattle are kept on the ranch for home use.
Mr. Harrold was married in 1886, in San Francisco, to Miss Clarise Harris, a native of Maryland, an accomplished lady, the daughter of J.B. Harris, who was born in New York in 1830. He has for some time been prominent in railroad building; was assistant superintendent of the construction of the Central Pacific Railroad, superintendent of the South Pacific to Fort Yuma, of the western part of the Northern Pacific; is now engaged in the construction of the Nicaragua Canal. Mr. and Mrs. Harrold have two interesting children: John H., born in Texas, June 24, 1887, and E.B. Harrold, Jr., born October 28, 1888. Mrs. Harrold is a member of the Episcopal church. Mr. Harrold's political views are Republican, but he is liberal and independent in politics as well as other topics.
Fridolin Hartman. - Among the early residents, prominent citizens and business men at San Buenaventura, we find the subject of this sketch. As his name indicates, Mr. Fridolin Hartman was born in Bavaria, Germany, and he dates his birth February 2, 1884, his parents being Bavarians. he was reared and educated in his native country. At the age of twenty-one he traveled in Austria and France, and was in Paris when war was declared with Germany. He came to the United States, landing in New York August 26, 1870. He first went to Philadelphia, then to Pittsburg, and on to St. Louis, Missouri, where he accepted a situation as foreman in a malt house. He next went to Kansas City, then to Denver, Colorado, and from there to Sacramento, spending a year and a half in the city brewery at Sacramento. Then he went to San Francisco, and, after spending two or three months there, he came to Ventura, in 1873, where he accepted a position in Mr. Greenwood's brewery. It was then a little wooden shanty, and, after working a year, he bought the property. He was so successful in his business that, two years later, he built the present two-story brick brewery.
Mr. Hartman saw the desirability of owning real estate in a growing county like Ventura and in the city of Ventura, so he has made a number of investments. he bought lands, which he subdivided and sold, and in this way his property has accumulated. he became the owner of eighty feet on Main Street, extending the whole length of the block on Palm Street. On this he built a commodious residence. Seeing the need of a larger hotel in Ventura than the town possessed, he took stock for the purpose of building one. His lot on Main street being a central position, he put it in as stock, and Anacapa Hotel was erected upon it. This building is a very good one and would do credit to any city. It is 80x130 feet, is three stories high, and contains 100 well planned, spacious rooms, lighted by electricity and furnished in good style. The building has a mansard roof, and under veranda on Main and Palm streets, the whole length and width of the building. When it was opened in 1888, it was crowded with guests, and has since been a popular hotel. Mr. Hartman has since invested in the stock of the company until he owns the controlling interest in the whole property, and is now proprietor of the hotel. He also owns, and is conducting a ranch of 300 acres, about three miles north of the town. This property he has improved by planting twenty-five acres in walnuts, also a large number of all kinds of trees, both deciduous and citrus. A portion of the farm is devoted to corn, wheat, barley and beans, and the rest is in pasture. Another piece of town property he owns is 100 feet front on the south side of Main Street, between Palm and Figueroa streets.
Mr. Hartman was united in marrige, in 1874, to Miss Katherine Kaufman, a native of Minnesota. Her father, Michael Kaufman, came to the United States in 1820, and in 1849, with an ox team, crossed the plains to California. In crossing the plains, their company had a convoy of soldiers, which escorted them until it was thought they were out of danger. After the soldiers left them they were attacked by the Indians. Two men were killed and one of the women captured. They made every effort to regain the woman, but failed. Mr. and Mrs. Hartman have had eleven children, all born in Ventura, in their present home, and all are living except one. Those living are Ludwig, Theresia, Fridoline, Karl, Katie, Anna, Lena, George, Fanny and Willy. The whole family are members of the Catholic Church. Mr. Hartman is a Democrat, and has three times been elected to the office of City Trustee. He resigned his trusteeship when he was elected a Supervisor of the town. He has served in this office four years, and was chairman of the Board of Supervisors. During his term of service he was strongly in favor of improvements. The addition to the court-house was made, and the substantial brick jail and the hospital were erected. Mr. Hartman's success in life would indicate that he is a good financier.
Thomas Harwood, of Saticoy, is a California pioneer, who came into the State in 1850. He was born in Gibson County, Indiana, November 24, 1841. He was the son of Thomas Harwood, Sr., a native of New York, and the grandson of Ruthland Harwood, who came from England. His mother, Sarah Harwood, was a native of England, They had six children, only three of whom survive. Thomas Harwood obtained most of his education in California, as he was only nine years of age when he came to this State. For fifteen years he was engaged in the freighting business from Marysville to Virginia City, with a ten-mule team and a large wagon. The distance was 120 miles, over mountain roads; the round trip was performed in twenty days. They hauled five tons and cleared nearly $500 each trip. Some of the mountain sides were steep, and the road formed many loops to make the grade possible, and then the hind wheels were dragged down on shoes to keep them from revolving. From there Mr. Harwood went to Butte County, and engaged in ranching; he had 2,400 acres of land, on which he kept about 2,000 sheep. The net income while he was on this ranch was about $3,000. He continued in this business about twelve years when he sold out and came to Ventura, and bought a fine ranch where he now resides. The ranch contains 152 acres, for which he paid $18,000. There are twenty-five acres of bearing apricot trees, the fruit of which they market both green and dry, and a large orange and lemon grove and other citrus fruits; and he is now raising large quantities of beans and corn, both being a paying crop. In two years, at the present prices, the property will have paid all expenses and will have returned the purchase money. He raised 2,100 pounds of Lima beans to the acre, on forty acres of land, which are now worth five cents per pound; the land only cost him $70 per acre. He has raised ninety bushels of shelled corn to the acre, and it is now worth $1 per hundred pounds; he is also raising some Belmont horses.
Mr. Harwood was married in 1876, to Miss E.A. Mastin, born November 14, 1859, in Quincy, Plumas County, California; her parents were natives of Georgia and South Carolina. They have four children, three born in Butte County, California, as follows: Thomas F., born September 26, 1879; Oliver, December 4, 1881; Henry Irvin, October 9, 1883; and Frederick W., born in Ventura County, August 21, 1887. Mr. and Mrs. Harwood are members of the Congregational Church. In his political views Mr. Harwood is a Republican, and has frequently held the office of School Trustee. He is an intelligent California, and is alive to the interests of his State, and highly esteemed by his neighbors.
O. F. Hawley is a California pioneer. He was born in Canada, December 28, 1830, the son of Charles Hawley and Cynthia (Laboree) Hawley, both natives of Canada. His grandfather, Amos Hawley, was a native of New Hampshire, and his grandfather on the maternal side, Rufus Laboree, was a native of Connecticut, and the ancestors of both families had long been residents of America. He was the fourth of a family of thirteen children, and the first twenty years of his life were spent in Canada. In 1852 he came to California, and worked in the mines in Mariposa County, with ordinary success. After being there a year he went to San Francisco, and February 16, 1853, sailed in the Monumental City for Australia, where he arrived after a voyage of eighty days. He went directly to the mines, where he worked for a year and a half, having fine success. He washed as high as $200 in gold in a single day, with an old-fashioned rocker. Upon his return to California he went to the mines in Nevada County, and worked at river mining in the South Yuba, with indifferent returns. In 1862 he went across the country to Idaho and prospected where the city of Auburn is now located. The next year he went to Boise Basin, being more successful and remaining there two years and a half. He was one of a company of five who worked four or five claims at one time and took out as high as $10,000 in a single week. Mr. Hawley took out $4,900 in one week, with five hired men, each receiving $6 per day. They employed four men to work at night, to save the water and also the gold. The water cost 50 cents per inch for twelve hours' use. When he left the gravel mining he sold his claim, and, with his brothers, went to Nevada and prospected in quartz-mining. They had hard luck and met with heavy losses. After this Mr. Hawley bought a ranch in Placer County, where he farmed four years. Then his wife died, and he sold his farm and went back to the mines in Nevada County, where he obtained a situation as a water agent and remained there ten years. At the expiration of that time he came to Southern California and at Carpenteria rented land for five or six years, which he devoted to the production of Lima beans. When he came to his present location he purchased eighty acres of choice land, a part of which he has since sold, retaining forty-three acres. This contains a nursery of walnut trees and a variety of fruit trees.
Mr. Hawley was married, in 1865, to Miss Matty Wheelock, a native of New York. They had two children: Ida B., born at Columbia Hill, Nevada County, is now the wife of John Dickerson, and lives near her father; Frank A., born in Placer County, resides with his father. After five years of married life, Mrs. Hawley died December 18, 1870. Mr. Hawley afterward married Miss Anna Carrol, a native of New York. They have had two children, born in Nevada County, Clarence and Lee, aged eight and twelve respectively. Mr. Hawley is a Royal Arch Mason, and has been a life-long Democrat.
R. B. Haydock is the Principal of the Hueneme school in Ventura county. He was born in Paducah kentucky, March 20, 1867. His father, R. M. Haydock, was also a native of Kentucky, born in 1831, and now resides in Monrovia, Los Angeles County. His grandfather, John Haydock, was born in North Carolina. Mr. Haydock's mother, nee Elizabeth Watts, was a native of Kentucky, and her father, David Watts, was born in North Carolina and removed to Kentucky, being one of the pioneers of that state. The subject of this sketch is the fifth of a family of seven children, all of whom are living. When a child he was brought to California by his parents, in 1873, and received his education in the public schools of this State. He graduated at the State Normal School of Los Angeles, December 17, 1885, taught one year in the Arnaz district, Ventura County, and since that time has been connected with the school at Hueneme, as Principal. In 1888 he was apointed by the Supervisors of Ventura County, a member of the Board of Education, which position he now occupies. In 1890, for County Clerk on the Democrat ticket, he ran 125 votes ahead of his fellow candidates, while the average Republican majority for that year was about 300. Mr. Haydock has chosen teaching as his profession, and thus far has met with excellent success, gaining the confidence and respect of his pupils, as well as of the patrons of the school. His qualifications as a teacher, combined with his love for the work, make him a fitting instructor for the young.
Mr. Haydock was reared a Methodist, but is not a member of the church. Politically he is independent in his views, trying always to select the best man.
Hepburn & Terry, managers of the fine hotel built by L. J. Rose, of Los Angeles, in San Buenaventura. Mr. Terry was born in Massachusetts in 1850, and came to California in 1875, since which time he has been engaged in hotel-keeping. He first had the Langham House, one of the most aristocratic hotels on the Pacific coast. With his partner he afterward had charge of the Garvanza Park Hotel in Los Angeles County. G. M. Hepburn was born in New York city in1849, and has been in California about fifteen years, and all this time in the present partnership. The Rose Hotel is a very imposing and beautiful four-story structure, and an ornament to the town as well as a credit to its owner. It has seventy-five rooms for guests, elegantly finished and furnished, with costly mirrors, silverware and rich furniture. For its size it is indeed the most expensively furnished house in Southern California and second to none in America. Messrs. Hepburn & Terry are men of experience and ability, who understand well their business, and the Rose Hotel is destined to have a still wider reputation.
J. H. Herbst is one of the self-made, successful business men of Hueneme. He was born in Germany, February 16, 1861, the son of Jacob Abraham Herbst and his wife, Ester (Hines) Herbst, the former a native of Russia and the latter of Germany. It was the intention of J. A. Herbst, who was a Hebrew, to educate his son for a rabbi, and his education was conducted with that object in view until he was twelve years of age. By the death of his father, at this time, their plans were thwarted, and young Herbst was obliged to work to help support the family. When eighteen years of age he started for the United States to find, in the land of the free, better facilities for improving his financial condition, with $1.75. He worked his way to New York city, and for twelve years he labored and struggled in that densely populated city, trying to lay up something, and meeting with poor success. In the mean time he married Miss Dora Cohn, a native of Germany. Three children were born to them in New York city, but the densely crowded tenement houses, with but little fresh and much foul air, caused sickness. Two of the children died and the expenses attendant upon sickness and death took all he could earn and constantly kept him poor. In 1879 he started with his little family for California, with scarcely means enough to reach the Golden West. He located in Saticoy, Ventura County, where he worked for wages for a year, and during that time saved $100, with which he started a little grocery business, on a very small scale, going in debt to a considerable extent, which he did not find difficult to do as he was well recommended. He continued at Saticoy nearly two years. In 1881 he came to Hueneme and purchased his present store and the building in which it is located. The building was then new, and they used the upper story for a dwelling. He keeps a fine stock of general merchandise, and is doing a good business. His wife often assists him in the store. Mr. Herbst has been remarkably successful since he came to California. he now has $5,000 at interest and does a $30,000 business. He has been blessed with a family of bright children: Hattie, born in New York city, and Jacob, Herman, Ester and Moses, born in Ventura County, California. Mr. and Mrs. Herbst are both Hebrews. In political views he is Democratic. He is a well informed and progressive business man; and is another illustration of what a poor, honest man, with a strong determination to succeed, can accomplish in this state. He is also one of the many sons of Germany who have come to the United States and by their successful life are a credit not only to their native land but also to the land of their adoption.
John G. Hill, one of the most prominent men of Ventura, who by his intelligence and ability stepped to the front in the ranch and stock-producing interests of this county, is a fine illustration of what can be done in a country so wonderfully fertile. His birth occurred in Paris, Monroe County, Missouri, March 14, 1845. His father, James Hill, was a native of Kentucky, as were also his ancestry, as far back as it can be traced. His mother, nee Nancy Gray, was also born in Kentucky, of parents whose ancestors were also Kentuckians.
Mr. Hill, the subject of this sketch, was the fourth child of ten children. The family crossed the plains to California in 1852, settling in Napa County, where the senior Hill bought a ranch of 160 acres, and afterward added to it by purchase 1,400 acres. On this ranch Mr. Hill acquired his knowledge and experience in farming, which has proved to be of so much value to him and his brothers in the production of the finest horses in the State, if not in the world. Mr. Ben Hill, the noted horse man in California residing at El Cajon, is one of the brothers. In 1866 he began farming upon his own account, on his father's ranch, and after two years' work he removed to Ventura, in 1868, and bought part of the Colonia grant, 630 acres. On this property Mr. Hill has built one of the finest houses in Ventura County, planted orchards of fruit trees and groves of ornamental trees, and has made a delightful home. He is also raising fine thoroughbred Berkshire hogs, Durham cattle, etc., and he now has 150 head of blooded colts, of the Richmond, Wild Idler, Joe Daniels, and Reveille strains. His young horses are not only of the best blood now in the county, but by his management they are the best developed specimens of their kind. Every lover of the horse is filled with admiration at the sight of his stock. In connection with Mr. Chrisman as partner, Mr. Hill is owner of several other fine places. At Montalvo they have a town site of 350 acres, fifty acres of land near Santa Paula, 108 acres sown to alfalfa on the Colonia grant, four-fifths of 260 acres planted in walnuts, one-third interest in 842 acres rented and sown to barley, and four-tenths of the Ventura waterworks. Mr. Hill stands high as a business man and gentleman in his county. He has witnessed and aided in the development of his locality; is an enthusiast as regards the fertility of the soil, and he really has good reasons to expect most lavish returns for his investments.
He was married, in 1866, to Miss Aranetta Rice, of Contra Costa County, and they have two sons, Ernest R. and Ralph N., both born in Ventura County. Mrs. Hill is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
Reuben W. Hill, M. D., San Buenaventura, was born November 27, 1845, in Arlington, Vermont. His father, Abner Hill, was also a native of Vermont and of English descent. Their ancestors had been in that State on the original grant since the founding of the colony. The Doctor's mother, nee Miriam Webb, was born in Sunderland, Vermont, of Holland descent, but resident for a time equally long in America. Dr. Hill, the youngest of eight children, was brought up in the State of New York and graduated at Washington Academy, one of the oldest institutions of learning in that State. In medicine he graduated at the Bellevue Hospital Medical College at New York city. He began practice in Monterey, Mexico, and one year afterward he removed to Salto, Argentine Republic. Was surgeon on the Pacific steamship line for two years. In 1874 he came to Santa Barbara, and since that time he has practiced in Santa Barbara and Ventura. His residence has been in the latter town since 1877. Here he has purchased a home, and has been connected with all the interests of the place to the present time.
The Doctor is a veteran of the civil war, having enlisted when seventeen years of age, in Company E. First New York Mounted Rifles, and served in the department of Virginia and North Carolina, three and a half years, or until after the close of the war. He participated in all the battles of his department. After the close of the battles of the Peninsula they were in North Carolina in a raid, and did not learn of General Lee's surrender until six days afterward; and they had s sharp battle six days after the surrender of Lee. The Doctor consistently belongs to the G. A. R., being a member of Cushing Post, No. 44, at San Buenaventura, for which post he holds the office of surgeon. He has also been coroner of Ventura County, and County Physician of Santa Barbara County. In 1878 he was made a Master Mason. He is a talented physician, having a good practice and the confidence of a wide and respectable patronage.
Dr. Hill was married 1875, to Miss Mary C. Gutierrez, daughter of Benigno Gutierrez, a native of Chili and a pioneer of California. They have eight children, whose names are Emmet, Ruby, Benigno, Edwin, Jessie, Annette and James. Mrs. Hill is a member of the Catholic Church.
Samuel Hill is a pioneer of California and one of the prominent ranchers of Ventura County. He was born in England, March 21, 1816. His parents, Samuel and Mary Hill, were both natives of that country. Mr. Hill remained in England until nineteen years of age, and in 1835 went to Quebec, Canada. He soon afterward located in Toronto, where he was engaged in the milling business for a year and a half. From that place he went to Dubuque, Iowa, and worked in the mills for seven years. He then went back to England, but soon, however, returned to Iowa, and in 1850 came to California. He first worked in the mines at Placerville. At Fort John he had a small store of miners' supplies, was there two years, and then went to Amador County, where he engaged in quartz mining. At the latter place he lost all he had previously made. Next he went to Buckeye Valley, same county, pre-empted a farm of 160 acres and purchased 840 acres more. He also bought a large house that had been built for a hotel and located on the same land. One hundred and sixty acres of land he devoted to grain and sheep-raising, remaining on the farm twenty-five years. He then rented it, removed to Ventura County, and bought 5,368 acres of land in the Conejo grant, and moved upon it with his family in 1877. Has been engaged in raising sheep, horses and cattle, and has kept as many as 12,000 sheep at a time. His horses are principally roadsters, twenty-five head being used on the ranch.
Mr. Hill was married in 1865 to Mrs. Sarah Middleton, a native of England, and the widow of Thomas Middleton. By her former husband she had five children, all born in America. By Mr. Hill she has had one son, Samuel Hill, Jr., who lived to be twenty-four years of age, and his death was occasioned by an accident. His mules ran him against a fence, injuring him internally and causing his death soon afterward. He left a wife and son, Samuel H., Jr. They reside in Sacramento. Mr. and Mrs. Hill were reared in the faith of the Episcopal Church. Mr. Hill affiliates with the Democratic party. He has just built a comfortable residence, and here in the sunny climate of Southern California he expects to spend the evening of his life.
Joseph Hobart is a pioneer of the State of California and one of the most prominent horticulturists of the Upper Ojai Valley. His life history would make a book of most interesting reading, but in the short space allowed in a work of this character only a brief outline can be given. He comes of hardy New England ancestry; and in the early pioneer days of California, only the men of strong will power braved the dangers of the long journey to the far West and, once there, stayed and helped to make the country what it is to-day; and it is to their indomitable qualities that California owes the proud position she now occupies among the sisterhood of States.
Mr. Hobart is a native of Abington, Plymouth County, Massachusetts. His father, Benjamin Hobart, was a native of the same town, was a graduate of Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, later became a manufacturer and made the first tacks ever made in the United States. He was a member of the Congregational Church. His death occurred in 1875. Mr. Hobart's grandfather, Colonel Aaron Hobart, was born in the same town, and was a foundryman. He cast cannon to be used in the Revolutionary war. The original ancestor of the family in America landed at Hingham, Massachusetts in 1632, and was one of the first pastors of the Hingham Church. Mr. Hobart's mother, nee Deborah Lazell, was a descendant of the Huguenots, and was the mother of twelve children, five daughters and two sons still living. Mr. Hobart received his education at the Phillips (Exeter, New Hampshire,) Academy and at the Leicester Academy, Massachusetts. Being feeble in health and afflicted with asthma, he was advised to go to sea, and his second voyage brought him to San Francisco, in 1849. He returned to that city in 1856, and, in company with his brother, engaged in the wholesale boot and shoe business, which proved a success and which they conducted until 1864. He then sold his interest and went to New York and Boston, and in 1871, health again failing, returned to San Francisco. Being troubled with asthma, he then came to Southern California, first to Santa Barbara and then to Upper Ojai Valley. Being delighted with the country, and finding it conducive to health, he purchased 441 acres of land on which he built and planted and on which he has since resided. The altitude of this land is 1,100 feet above sea level, and it is located four miles east of the village of Nordhoff. With him everything was experimental, and those who have not experienced the disappointments and failures know nothing of the difficulties under which the early settlers labored; but intelligent industry has gained the victory, and Mr. Hobart now has one of the finest fruit ranches in this beautiful valley. During his eighteen years' residence in the Ojai Valley he has never had an attack of asthma. He has 1,500 large bearing apricot trees, loaded with fruit; 1,000 French prunes in the same fine condition; 1,000 almond trees also bearing abundantly, and a large orchard devoted to a general variety of delicious fruits. He keeps his ranch in a most excellent condition, has his own fruit-dryer, and has a nuthuller of his own invention that makes hulling of the nuts quite easy. To give an idea of the productiveness of the land we state that, in 1888, from 285 almond trees, Mr. Hobart sold $784 worth of nuts, and the prospect is still better this year. Mr. Hobart has also given some attention to the raising of fine horses and cattle, principally for his own use.
The subject of this sketch was married in 1860, to Miss Elizabeth Hutchinson, a native of Philadelphia, a Quaker, and a lady of Scotch-English descent. This union has been blessed with two daughters, Margaret and Gertrude. Their cozy California home, embowered with trees and vines, at once denotes the intelligence and refinement of its inmates. Mr. Hobart is a gentleman pleasant in his manner and pronounced in his ideas on all subjects. He takes an active interest in educational matters, and is School trustee of his district. He is a decided Republican, and a man of influence in the county.
P.J. Hobson is a young business man of Santa Paula, who makes no pretensions to having a history worth writing; but, as he has, by his business fact, made himself a factor in the growth and development of his town, he is deserving of mention in the history of the county; for history is a record of the present as well as the past.
Mr. Hobson was born one mile west of the business center of San Buenaventura, on Ventura Avenue, January 10, 1863. His father, W.D. Hobson, was a business man of that town, - first as a farmer, and afterward extensively engaged in pork and lard packing, with his sons; is now in business in San Francisco. Mr. Hobson's grandfather, William D. Hobson, was born in America, of English ancestors. His mother, nee I. J. Winemiller, was born in Ohio. He is the seventh of a family of ten children, and had a twin sister who died. Young Hobson attended school in Ventura, and finished his education at a business college in San Francisco. For a time he was engaged in farming, and for seven years worked in the packing business. He came to Sant Paula in January, 1887, and bought lard in quantities, which he subdivided and sold at a gain, and also did some business for others in the same direction. He has built twelve dwelling0houses, and owns a half interest in a fine brick block, two stories high, containing three stores, on the best street in Santa Paula.
January 10, 1888, Mr. Hobson was united in marriage with Miss Olive Hink a native of Mendocino County, California, born April 18, 1870. She is a daughter of Samuel Hink, a resident of that part of the State. Mr. Hobson has been a Republican all his life.
I. N. Hudiburgh was born in Morgan County, Indiana, January 4, 1848, son of Samuel and Nancy Hudiburgh, both natives of Indiana, and the former of German descent. He was the sixth of a family of eight children, was reared on a farm and received his education in the public schools, going to school in the winter and working on the farm in the summer. At the age of seventeen he tendered his services to his country, enlisting, in 1865, in Company H, Eighty-third Illinois Infantry. He was transferred to Company I, Sixty-first Illinois Infantry, and was ordered to Clarksville, Tennessee, and from there to Nashville. While his regiment was in the latter place, General Lee surrendered, and on the 8th of September, 1865, he was mustered out by reason of the close of the war. He then returned to his home, where he remained a year; next removed to Missouri and worked in Bates County eight years; then went to Linn County, Kansas, where he resided eight years. In 1882 Mr. Hudiburgh came to California, and since that time has resided at Santa Paula. Is engaged in the remunerative business of cultivating Lima beans, devoting forty acres to their production.
He was married, in 1869, to Miss Margaret J. Cleek, a native of Virginia, and reared in Missouri. Their union has been blessed with five children, namely: Charles M., born in Bates County, Missour, July 19, 1870; Alfred, in Kansas, February 20, 1877; Walter, also born in Kansas, August 3, 1878; Samuel, in Santa Paula, California, July 17, 1884, and Ethel May, in Santa Paula, November 6, 1887. Mrs. Hudiburgh is a member of the Baptist church. Mr. Hudiburgh is a strict temperance man, a good citizen, and in politics he is a Democrat.
John Irwin is one of the business men of Santa Paula. A brief sketch of his life is as follows: Mr. Irwin was born in Cherry Tree, Venango county, Pennsylvania, May 4, 1841. His father, William Irwin, was a native of the same place, and his grandfather was one of the early settlers of that county, and lived to be eighty-seven years old. His great-grandfather, Richard Irwin, was born in County Armagh Ireland, in 1740, and immigrated to Pennsylvania in 1761, at the age of twenty-one years. In 1809 John Irwin built the first grist-mill in Cherry Tree, and the first saw-mill in the township was built by Ninian Irwin in 1823. Both John and Ninian Irwin were appointed justice of the peace and held the office for years. Most of this early history was obtained from Judge John Irwin, a judge and prominent citizen of Cherry Tree for many years in the early history of the county of Venango. Mr. Irwin's mother's maiden name was Eliza Stewart. She was a native of the same State, and was a daughter of Elijah Stewart, who was also born in Pennsylvania. When the subject of this sketch was nineteen years old his father died, and upon him devolved the care of the farm and his mother and six children. His early educational advantages were limited, and he is evidently a self-made man. He remained with the family until twenty-eight years of age. When John was quite a small boy his father kept a dairy, and the boys early learned to take charge of the stock. Mr. Irwin says that when he was only eleven years old he both bought and sold cows. he was thus inured to hard work in early life and also learned something of the management of the farm and stock; although he was a slight lad, at twenty-one weighing only 100 pounds. His birth-place was only four miles from the first producing oil well in the oil regions of that State, the Drake, which was opened in 1859. When his farm work was done, Mr. Irwin often worked at the oil wells for wages, and after a time purchased an outfit and took contracts to sink wells. The owner of the well furnished the boiler and engine and wood rig; the other material was furnished by the driller. After working in this way for twelve years, he took an interest in wells and became an oil-well owner. In speaking of productive wells, Mr. Irwin says the most productive well he had anything to do with was the "Old Sherman." It flowed 1,200 barrels per day, and it was estimated that it flowed 1,900,000 barrels, and it was then pumped for twenty years. This well was 600 feet deep.
Mr. Irwin had always taken an interest in stock-raising and in 1883 came to California, prospecting. Mr. Lyman Stewart came at the same time and together they looked the oil region over. After looking the country over they decided that there was a good opening for development. Mr. Stewart telegraphed Mr. W. L. Hardison, and at once they began to make roads to the localities of this work, of which Mr. Irwin was superintendent. Mr. Hardison came out and arrangements were made, and in May, 1883, he went back for machinery and men. Mr. Irwin made the preliminary preparations for the wells at Newhall and then came to Santa Paula Canon and engaged in preparations to drill and develop. When a man goes into new fields in this way, such work is called by oil men wild-cating. Mr. Irwin has done much of this work. He continued at Santa Paula until 1887, when he went to Sespe Canon, eighteen miles east of Santa Paula, where they now have wells, with a pipe line to the refinery. Mr. Irwin is superintendent of field work, having a complete supervision of the whole business of sinking the wells, of their production and of making the roads to them. This is the Sespe Oil Company. Thomas R. Bard is president and W. L. Hardison is general manager.
Mr. Irwin was married in 1868, to Miss Caroline B. Canfield, of Niagara County, New York. They have one son, Ralph, who was born in Cherry Tree, Venango county, Pennsylvania, September 9, 1874.
Mr. Irwin cast his first presidental vote for Abraham Lincoln, and has been a Republican ever since. He is the owner of property in Santa Paula and a nice cottage near the center of the town. Mr. Irwin is a well informed man, and has had a long experience in the oil business. His efforts in that direction in Ventura County have been crowned with success, and are resulting in the growth and upbuilding of Santa Paula.
G. W. F. Johnson, Proprietor of the Petrolia Hotel, Santa Paula, California, was born in Terre Haute, Indiana, April 22, 1853. His father, George W. Johnson, was born and reared in Indianapolis. While attending school, he spent three years of his life in the family of Henry Ward Beecher. For a long time he was employed on the Daily Sentinel, now a leading paper of Indianapolis. Mr. Johnson's grandfather, Collin P. Johnson, was a pioneer of Indianapolis. He was a native of Winchester, West Virginia. Mr. Johnson's mother, nee Mary E. Kittlemen, was born in Indianapolis, and her father, James Kittlemen, was a pioneer there. Her grandfather was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and lived to be 104 years old.
The subject of this sketch was the oldest of a family of three children. He received his early education in Iowa, Kentucky and Oregon, completing his studies at Plymouth College, Oregon. The first work he did was to help Mr. Ben Hodely construct a telegraph line. After that he was engaged for ten years in the hotel business. In 1883 he purchased the Calistoga Hot Springs, together with 148 acres of land known as the old Sam Brannan property, and conducted it a year a half, after which he solt it to Governor Stanford, who now owns it. In Sonoma County, he bought 500 acres of land and for two years carried on general farming and stock-raising. On account of his wife's failing health, her physician ordered them South, and they traveled for nearly two years, seeking health for Mrs. Johnson, but without success; and finally located at Phoenix, Arizona, on a farm of 640 reres. There Mr. Johnson established the Calistoga breeding farm, importing and breeding fine stock of all kinds. After conducting this two years, he sold out and engaged in business in Phoenix, forming the firm of Hiller & Johnson, dealers in investments, bonds, warrants, etc. While in that business they purchased 150 acres of land, joining the city of Phoenix, which city is now the capital of Arizona, and laid out the Hiller and Johnson addition. During the last year he spent in Phoenix, Mr. Johnson conducted the Lemon Hotel - then the leading hotel of the Territory.
March 1, 1888, Mr. Johnson sold his interest to his partner, Mr. E. Hiller (now the cashier and manager of the Hartford Banking Company of Phoenix), and came to Santa Paula. He purchased the lease of the old Union Hotel, and conducted the house successfully for ten months, when it caught fire and burned down. Three months later he bought the ground and commenced the erection of the Petrolia Hotel, which he completed and furnished in a very satisfactory manner. It is 50 x 110 feet, with two stories and a half and a basement, containing forty rooms, and having a central location on Main street. The house is lit with gas, does a good business, and is well managed. It is the regular eating-house for passengers on South Pacific trains, and it is the leading hotel of the place.
Mr. Johnson was united in marriage to Miss Sarah M. Booth, a daughter of Mr. James R. Booth. She was born in Oregon in 1857. Their union was blessed with two sons and one daughter, namely: Chester, born in Napa County, September 1, 1877; Carl, in the same place, February 2, 1879; and Pearl E., in Adin, Modoc County. Notwithstanding the efforts put forth to save the life of Mrs. Johnson, she died, of consumption, in 1884. In August, 1885, Mr. Johnson married Miss Mary F. Fornia, a native of Nebraska City, born in 1869. She is the daughter of Mr. Milton Fornia, a merchant of Leadville, Colorado. They have two interesting children: George N., born in Phoenix, May 30, 1887, and Eleanora Cecelia, born September 13, 1889, in Santa Paula.
For the last five years Mr. Johnson has been a contractor for the Government posts in Southern California and Arizona. While in Arizona, Governor F. A. Tritle appointed him Secretary of the Territorial Fair Association, at a salary of $1,200 per year. He was a stockholder in the Valley Bank, and in the Hartford Bank. Mr. Johnson has obtained every degree in the I. O. O. F., and has passed all its chairs. He is a K. of P., and a member of the military order of the Loyal League of the United States. In politics he is a Republican, but is not radical. He is a prominent business man and a very obliging hotel-keeper.
E. M. Jones, proprietor of the Santa Clara Hotel and an old resident of San Buenaventura, came to this State in 1852. He was born in Manchester, England, February 14, 1839. His parents, Edward and Elizabeth (Markland) Jones were English, but his father's ancestors were Welsh. They came to America in 1847, settling in New Hampshire, where Mr. Jones received his education. He also attended school in Baltimore. His first business was in 1856, when he drove a six-horse stage-coach from old San Pedro to old Los Angeles, which business he continued until 1868, when the railroad was built. While driving stage he carried the United States Mail and the Wells-Fargo packages. His next step was buying, selling, and raising sheep, which he followed until 1871, when he came to San Buenaventura and bought the hotel. He has since built additions to it, and is conducting it in a very obliging and satisfactory manner. The building was first erected in 1869, then in the center of the town, by Pearson Hornbeck and Pedro Cunstanza, and for many years was the principal hotel of the place. It was leased from 1873 to 1877, but Mr. Jones has been its landlord since 1871. It contains thirty-five well furnished rooms, is located on Main street nearly opposite the old Mission church, and a free bus is run to all trains.
Since locating here Mr. Jones has made an extended journey to the Sandwich Islands, New Zealand, Feejee Islands, etc., being gone nearly a year. He stands high as a man of good business capacity and excellent judgment. For many years he has been City Trustee, being greatly interested in the business interests of the place and efficient in aiding in its development. He was married in May, 1873, to Miss Flora Preble, a native of Maine, of which State her father, Charles Preble, was an old settler. Mr. and Mrs. Jones have three children, all born in San Buenaventura, namely, Minnie P., Charles E. and Walter M.