Biographical Sketches K-L-M Surnames
"A Memorial and Biographical History of the
Counties of Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, and Ventura Counties"
By Yda Addis Storke
G. E. Kaltmeyer is one of the thrifty and enterprising self-made men of Ventura County. He was born in Germany, of well-to-do German parents in 1842, and received his education in his native country. A spirit of independence and a desire to do for himself prompted him to start for the United States, here to earn a living and ultimately to establish a home for himself. He came in 1856, and settled at St. Louis, Missouri, where he learned the trade of a confectioner and cook, and was engaged in that business there for ten years; he then went to Tennessee, where he opened a restaurant. From there he went to the Paris World's Fair, and also visited his parents, returning to America three months later. At this time he engaged in the cotton and wool business, and met with reverses, losing all he had made. On his way to New York his ship was caught in a severe storm, and he came so near losing his life that the other things did not seem of much importance.
In 1861 Mr. Kaltmeyer enlisted in a Missouri volunteer regiment, and served three months, during that time participating the battle of Springfield, Missouri. Some time after being mustered out of service, he again located in St. Louis, Missouri, and was engaged in business there until 1866. While in that city, in 1863, he married Miss Josephine Young, a native of Germany. To them were born two lovely children. During the fearful cholera epidemic in St. Louis, they were all taken with the disease, and both wife and children died, he along of the little family being left. At this time he was broken in spirit and also met with financial reverses. With what money he had left he came to California in 1868, via Panama. In San Francisco he worked at his trade, and in the fall he went to Napa County, where he heard there was choice government land in Southern California, and that it was a fine country. He came to Ventura County in December, 1869, and settled on 160 acres of land, which, after a while, he learned was not Government land. He bought eighty acres of it at $16.50 per acre; four years later he bought the other eighty; and still two years later he purchased sixty-seven acres more that adjoined it. Nearly all this time he was unmarried and did his own cooking. After remaining single nearly ten years, he wedded Miss Pauline Ruoff, a native of Germany. This union has been blessed with five children: the first, a son, died; the other children are Matilda, Emelia, Bertha and Hulda, all born in Ventura County.
Mr. Kaltmeyer has greatly improved and beautified his ranch; the house, a very comfortable and attractive one, he built in 1883; and the whole property speaks in unmistakable terms of the taste, refinement and enterprise of the owner. After being broken up twice, he has, by the power of his will and close application to business, become independent and affluent. Notwithstanding his various experiences, he still looks young, and, no doubt, has before him a long and successful career. He was inexperienced in ranch life when he came to his present location, and many were the difficulties he encountered, but he overcame them all, and now ranks among the leading ranchers of his district. Politically, he is a Republican.
Harald L. Kamp was born in Sweden, May 22, 1824. His parents were both Danish by birth. His father, L. Kamp, arrived in Sweden (before his birth) as a commercial agent. Harald received a private education; was engaged as clerk in a book and stationery business; and emigrated to the United States, landing at New York, in 1845. In 1846 he enlisted with Colonel Stevenson's New York Volunteers, Company C., Captain Brackett; left New York for California in September, 1846, arriving March, 1847; was stationed at Sonoma. In May, 1847, he was with others sent to Sacramento under Lieutenant Anderson for the protection of the settlers from Indians; remained there until September, same year, when he was sent back to Sonoma; and remained in Sonoma to the close of the war.
After the war he left for the mines and remained there until December, 1848, when he returned to Sonoma and engaged in store business to 1856. Selling out his mercantile business he engaged in farming and stock-raising, in Sonoma County, until 1868, when he moved to Martinez, Contra Costa County. He engaged there in the wholesale and retail liquor business until 1880, then moved to San Buenaventura, continuing in the same business.
Mr. Kamp was married in Sonoma, in 1851, to Dona Josefina Higuerra, a native of County County, and they have had five children, three of whom are now living, whose names are Luis Ignacio, Adriano Francisco, and John.
Josiah Keene was born in the State of Maine, December 19, 1828. His father, Jeremiah Keene, was also born in the "Pine Tree State," and his grandfather, Isaac Keene, was a native of Massachusetts, wand served in both the Revolution and the war of 1812. The Keenes were of Scotch-English descent. Josiah Keene's mother, nee Rebecca Kendall, was born in Maine, a daughter of Colonel David Kendall, who was also a native of Maine and a soldier in the war of 1812. They were of Welsh ancestry, who came to America in the early Colonial times. Mr. Keene's grandmother, on the maternal side, was a Cobourne, a cousin of Governor Cobourne of Maine, and a member of one of the oldest families of the state. The subject of this sketch was the fifth of a family of fourteen childre. All but two are still living. There were three pairs of twins in the family. In 1888 a reunion of the family was held in Minnesota, and members of the family from all parts of the country assembled there, ten grey-haired men and women being present.
Mr. Keene was reared and received a good education in tthe public schools of his native State. At the commencement of the great civil war, he enlisted, in April, 1861, as a private soldier. He served nearly three years, or until the time of losing his left arm at the battle of Chattanooga. He participated in twenty-two hard0fought battles, first at Mills Springs, then at Pittsburg Landing, Corinth, Stone River, Perryville, Franklin, and all the engagements of his regiment. After he was wounded he was taken prisoner, and his arm was treated in the Rebel lines. Twelve days later he was exchanged. Mr. Keene considers it one of Mr. Lincoln's best acts when he exchanged 10,000 able Confederate prisoners for 10,000 maimed men, of whom he was one. It was a year before he was able to work, and then he obtained a clerkship in the Treasury Department at Washington and served ten years in that capacity. The close confinement was injurious to his health, and, in September, 1874, he came to California, and spent months in looking over the coast before he finally settled. He purchased three acres of land at San Buenaventura, on which he built a small house. After the boom he erected a very fine residence on that beautiful street, Ventura Avenue, where the family now reside. In the fall of 1875 he took a Government claim of 160 acres of land and also a timber culture of 160 more. This is located six miles due east of Santa Paula. He has planted seventy-five acres to trees and vines. Twenty-five acres are in olives, forty acres in raising grapes, two acres in a variety of fruit and the rest in Eucalyptus trees.
Mr. Keene was married, January 1, 1874, to Miss Lucy E. Monroe, a native of Massachusetts, and a daughter of Rev. Calvin H. Monroe, of that State, a minister of the Baptist church. Their union has been blessed with five children. Kendall C. was born in the city of Washington. The following were born in Ventura, California; Allen H., Herman B., Robo-Vesta and Helen L. Mr. and Mrs. Keene are members of the Methodist Church. He is a Republican and an active member of the Grand Army of the Republic.
J. B. Kelsey, a rancher near Ventura, is one of the pioneers and extensive farmers of Ventura County. He was born in Morris County, New Jersey, November 8, 1838; his father, J. B. Kelsey, Sr., was a native of the same State; his ancestry were from Scotland. Mr. Kelsey's mother was Delia (Conyer) Kelsey; her ancestors were of French extraction. J. B. Kelsey was the eleventh of a family of fifteen children. after his early schooling, at the age of fourteen years, he went to work in a grocery store in Rockaway, and continued there five years, when he came to California, in 1858. He remained one year in San Francisco, and then removed to Alameda County, where he rented lands and engaged in farming market produce. He continued that business until 1868, when he came to Ventura and rented land two years, and then bought and improved 182 acres of land near Ventura. He still owns the property, and has planted trees and built a fruit-dryer. He moved upon the place in 1876, and is now raising corn and beans on a very large scale, - 1,500 pounds of Lima beans, and about the same quantity of small white beans to the acre. His average crop of shelled corn is from 3,000 to 4,000 pounds per acre.
Mr. Kelsey was married, in 1861, to Miss Mary Fichter, a native of New York city, but was raised in New Jersey; her parents were of German extraction. They have had eight children, three of them born in Alameda County, and the others in Ventura, viz: Sarah, who is now attending the Normal School in Los Angeles; Agnes, Victor, Mary (who is also at the Normal School), Della, Helen, Fred, and Olive. They have a large stock ranch, of which Victor has charge, and Agnes is keeping house for him. On this ranch he is breeding horses, both Norman and Clydesdale stock. Mrs. Kelsey died September 24, 1884; they had been married twenty-three years, and the loss was most deeply felt by them all. Mr. Kelsey is a member of the I. O. O. F., and also of the Masonic fraternity; in his political views he is a Republican. He was again married, to Mrs. Redwin, widow of the late Mr. Lewis Redwin, of Ventura. She is a native of Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Kelsey and several of the family are members of the Presbyterian Church.
J. Logan Kennedy, as his name indicates, is a descendant of the old Scottish chiefs. Kennedy, in Celtic, Ceannathighe, means the head of a clan or chieftain. Duncan de Carrick, living in 1153, was father of Nicholas de Carrick, whose son, Roland de Carrick, took the name of Kennedy, and from this origin the family springs. Their home was in Ayrshire.
This ancient family were prominent in political matters, were leaders in the Presbyterian Church, and were valiant soldiers in the cause of reform, liberty, and religion. Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, is the present Earl of Carrick. They have been connected with the great house of Stewart and with the kings of Scotland and England. Colonel Gilbert Kennedy, who was with Cromwell at the battle of Marston Moor, had two sons, who were Presbyterian ministers. Rev. Thomas Kennedy, one of these sons, was Chaplain to General Munro, and went with the army to Ireland, in 1642. Mr. Kennedy afterward settled in Carland, and this accounts for the family being in Ireland. he died in 1714. Two of his sons were Presbyterian ministers. It is believed that William Kennedy, who emigrated from Ireland and settled in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, in 1830, was Colonel Gilbert Kennedy's descendant. This William Kennedy was born in Londonderry, ireland, about 1695. He married Mary Henderson, and his death occurred in 1777. He was J. Logan Kennedy's great-great-grandfather. His son, James Kennedy, was born in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, in 1730, and married Jane Maxwell in 1761. They had twelve children. His death occurred October 7, 1799. His son, William Kennedy, born in 1766, married Sarah Stewart, and to them were born eight children. He served in the Continental Army as aid to his uncle, General Maxwell. He afterward represented the counties of Sussex and Warren in the Legislature of New Jersey, several terms, and was chairman of the house, which position he filled with dignity and honor. He was also, for years, a judge of the courts. He was an elder in the Greenwich Presbyterian Church, and in politics was a Democrat. This was our subject's grandfather. His son, James J. Kennedy, was born in Warren County, New Jersey, July 14, 1793; and, January 28, 1819, he married Margaret Cowell. He removed to Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, in 1839; was a Presbyterian, a judge, a Democrat, and a prominent agriculturist.
His son, J. Logan Kennedy, was born and reared in Cumberland Valley, near the town of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. He was the youngest of a family of nine children, six of whom are now living; and received his education at Chambersburg and Jonesville, New Jersey. For a time he read law in the office of his brother, T. B. Kennedy. He engaged somewhat in politics, and was elected treasurer of his county. In 1872 he came to California and settled in Ventura, where he engaged in the sheep business with Thomas R. Bard, who had been his boyhood playmate and schoolmate. The firm was Kennedy & Bard until 1880. They engaged in this business on a large scale, having as many as 15,000 sheep at one time. Mr. Kennedy has also been engaged in buying and selling sheep and cattle, and he owns a livery in Ventura. he has been interested in lands, and now owns a ranch.
Mr. Kennedy was married in 1881, to Miss Netta E. Wright, a native of Wisconsin. She is the daughter of Philip V. Wright, who was born in New York. They are of Scotch-Irish descent, and their ancestors have been residents of America since the Revolution. They have one child, an interesting little girl: Carrie L., born in Ventura, April 25, 1882. Mrs. Kennedy is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
A descendant of a family of Democrats, Mr. Kennedy has ever been true to that party. He is a fine physical representative of his Scotch ancestry - blue eyes, fine complexion, tall and straight, and a fine well devleoped form. He retains his love for valuable horses and can be seen driving his fine horse on the beautiful avenues of Ventura, with his wife and little daughter, enjoying the delightful and balmy climate of Southern California. They have a nice home at the corner of Oak and Poli streets, surrounded with flowers and shrubs and every thing that goes to make life a comfort.
G. E. Kilson was born in Iowa, January 29, 1857. His parents, Lewis and Caroline Kilson, were natives of Bergen, Norway. They emigrated to America in September, 1838, and went to Cincinnati, the journey at that time being a most arduous one. They soon afterward settled in Adams County, Illinois, on a farm they bought and improved. Later, they sold it and moved to Wisconsin, and, after a year spent in that State, removed, in 1855, to Butler County, Iowa. They entered 240 acres of land for a homestead, and this they developed into a fine farm. They built a nice home, and there resided until their deaths, which occurred, the mother's on November 10, 1881, and the father's November 28, 1889.
The subject of this sketch was the fifth of a family of seven children. He was reared in Bristow, Butler County, Iowa, and received his education in the public schools of that town. He assisted his father on the farm until the age of twenty-one years. At that time he came to California to carve his own destiny in the land that offers so many inducements to the worthy citizen, arriving in the Golden State February 7, 1882. He had already obtained some knowledge of telegraphy, and his first move was to finish learning that business, at Pino, Placer County. He was afterward sent to Arizona and at different times had charge of several stations: was three months at Yuma, one year at Dragoon Summit, the highest point on the Souther Pacific Railroad, and was two years at Nelson.
Mr. Kilson was married to Miss Laura F. Williams, December 17, 1886. She is a native of California. From nelson Mr. Kilson moved to Saticoy on the 20th of November, 1887. Here he has the position of ticket and station agent. He is an active and capable business man, and at once became identified with the best interests of Saticoy; has bought property and built a neat and pleasant home, where he resides with his family. Mr. and Mrs. Kilson have two children: Lewis, born at Nelson, and Elmer, at Saticoy.
In his political views, Mr. Kilson is a Republican. He is a member of the K. of P., Eden Lodge, No. 101, at Nelson, Butte County, California.
C. N. Kimball is one of the prominent ranchers of Saticoy, Ventura County, California. He was born at West Boxford, Essex County, Massachusetts, September 17, 1843. His father, C. F. Kimball, was born in Newburyport, Massachusetts, in 1818. He was a shoemaker and a farmer. Mrs. Kimball, the mother of the subject of this sketch, was nee Hannah Tyler, born in Boxford, Massachusetts, in 1817. She was a daughter of Flint Tyler, a native of the State of Vermont. C. N. Kimball was the second of a family of seven children, all of whom are living at this writing. He was reared and educated in his native place, and his first work was as a machinist. His country's claim in its time of need caused him to enlist, and he was placed in unattached service on the coast of his native State, doing duty in the fortifications. he was mustered out on the 4th of July, 1865. Then for two years he worked in the factories of Lynn and Haverhill, engaged in the manufacture of shoes.
December 31, 1867, Mr. Kimball sailed from New York for California, at which place he arrived January 22, 1868. He accepted a position on the Central Pacific Railroad, remaining in railroad employ nine months. On Christmas of that year he came to Southern California, and bought a band a sheep which he took to Eastern Nevada and traded for a ranch in Lamoille Valley. He there engaged in farming, raising potatoes and barley; and from that place he went to Eureka, same State, where he burned charcoal for the smelting furnaces. After he had been there a year and a half he was taken sick with pneumonia. At that time he returned to California and worked near Gilroy two years. In 1876 he came to his present locality and purchased seventy-five acres of land. Here he has built a tasteful home and planted trees and flowers, making a very attractive place. In farm products his specialty is Lima beans, which proves to be a bonanza for many of the farmers of Saticoy. Mr. Kimball's crop last year averaged 1,600 pounds to the acre, the price being from three to four and a half cents.
Mr. Kimball was married in February, 1884, to Miss Carry Duval, a native of the State of Maine, and a daughter of E. A. Duval, a prominent citizen of Saticoy, whose history appears in this book. One child, a daughter, born October 4, 1888, died November 4, 1889. Mrs. Kimball is a member of the Union Church. In political views Mr. Kimball is a Republican. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., is a good citizen and a man of worth and integrity.
John H. Kuhlman was born in Germany, in 1827, received his education in his native country, and at the age of fifteen entered upon a three-years' apprenticeship to the blacksmith trade. His term having expired, in 1845, he came to the United States, landing at Galveston, Texas, and worked at his trade for three months in that State. He then gave it up and was employed as a cabin-boy on a steamboat, continuing that business five years, and being promoted from cabin-boy to steward of the boat. While sailing on the steamer Palmetto, he was shipwrecked on Matagorda Bar, January 9, 1851. Fifty passengers were on board, and all were saved in a remarkable manner, which is worth relating here. Among other freight they had a bull on board - a fine large animal. One end of a rope they attached to him and the other end to the vessel. He was sent overboard and swam ashore, and they were thus landed before the ship was dashed to pieces. Mr. Kuhlman sailed on the schooner European, for Chagres, and was again shipwrecked at Algrat Keys. They were rescued this time by the Apalachicola and landed at San Juan del Norte, and taken to Chagres on the steamer Avon. He remained a month at Chagres and crossed the Isthmus in April, 1851, working his passage on the steamer New Orleans. He returned to Panama May 5th. The steamer was sold. For three months he acted as steward on the steamer Unicorn. After that he went into the mines, where he was engaged until 1859. At that time he came back to San Francisco, and went on a steamboat to Olympia. From there he went to Anaheim, and from there, in 1865, to Santa Barbara. In the latter place he opened a variety store, ran it three years, and, in 1869, started a branch store of the same kind in Ventura. He afterward sold his business at Santa Barbara and moved to Ventura, where he built a store, in 1870, on leased ground. This he traded to Mr. Hobson for his present store, and has since continued business in the same place.
In 1870 he was married to Miss Maria Botilla, of Santa Barbara. They have six children: Christina, Charles, Rosa and Henry, born in Santa Barbara; and John and Flora, born in Ventura. Mr. and Mrs. Kuhlman and the children are all members of the Catholic Church. Mr. Kuhlman was brought up in the Lutheran Church.
In addition to the business interests already mentioned in this sketch, it may be stated that Mr. Kuhlman has stock in the Anacapa Hotel, and is treasurer of the company which owns it. He is the owner of considerable valuable business property on Main street, Ventura, and has fifty acres in another place. He still retains a lot and brick store in Santa Barbara. Mr. Kuhlman has an extensive acquaintance throughout the county, and is regarded by all as a reliable man and a worthy citizen.
Messrs. Lee & Rice. - As one approaches the town of Santa Paula in any direction he will see a star on the stones and boulders, and when he arrives in the city he will find several stars in front of a neat and tasteful clothing store. This is the Star Clothing House of Santa Paula, the firm being Lee & Rice.
F. E. Lee, of this firm, was born in Detroit, Michigan, March 23, 1859. He is the son of John L. Lee, who was born in England and came to the United States in 1850. Mr. Lee was educated in the city of Lansing, taking a thorough course in a commercial college. He commenced business as a pressman, in the State printing office at Lansing, and was engaged in press work there for five years. Then for a time he was in a store with his brother, in Lincoln, Nebraska, after which he spent five years in Chicago, on press work. From there he came to Los Angeles, California, and held the position of foreman in the press-room of the Times office, five years, until he came to Santa Paula. Mr. Lee is married to Miss Balcom, one of the fairest young ladies of Santa Paula, daughter of W. E. Balcom, a wealthy and influential citizen of Santa Paula.
J. C. Rice, who is manager of the store with Mr. Lee, was born in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1854, and completed his education at the Michigan State Normal School, at Ypsilanti. He has had experience in the clothing business with the best wholesale houses in the East, and in Los Angeles, both as a salesman and traveling man. He has thus gained a knowledge of the cost of goods which is of much value to him in their present business. Mr. Rice was married, September 22, 1889, to Miss Fanny M. Baker, daughter of C. N. Baker, a prominent resident of Santa Paula and a member of the Board of County Supervisors.
These gentlemen are both talented business men. They established their business in Santa Paula September 22, 1889. They purchased the building in which their store is located, in the business center of the town, have a fine stock of goods, and quite an extensive trade. Both Mr. Lee and Mr. Rice are Republicans and both are worthy members of the K. of P.
Achille Levy, one of the prominent business men of Hueneme, came to California in 1871. He was born in Alsace, France, now Germany, October 23, 1853; his parents were both natives of France. After he arrived in San Francisco he went to a business college for two years, to take a business course and to learn the English language. He then engaged in clerking and as book-keeper in a general merchandise store in Dixon, Solano County, and was there two years. In 1875 he came to Hueneme and engaged in business, the firm being Wolff & Levy, in which they continued for ten years, meeting with excellent success. In 1885, he sold his half interest, and opened a wholesale grain, commission and banking business. He handles large quantities of grain, honey, beans and wool, and ships his produce all over the United States and Mexico; he is also a director, stockholder, and vice-president of the Hueneme Bank. He is extensively interested in real estate throughout Ventura, Santa Barbara, and Los Angeles counties.
In 1881 Mr. levy took a tour to Europe and was there married to Miss Lucy Levy, a "forty-second cousin" of his, and a native of Paris, where her parents reside. They have four children, born in Hueneme: Anna E., Palmyre, Joseph Paul and Julia E. Mr. levy has built a nice home; he has bought recently a ten-acre lot on one of the best streets, about ahalf-mile from town, which he designs to fit for a residence, and lay out in handsome grounds in the near future. In his political views he is a Republican, and prominently identified with that party; he is a very active business man, and a member of the San Francisco Produce Exchange.
Lewis Linbarger, a California pioneer, came to the State in 1857. He was born in Illinois, January 6, 1836, son of Lewis and Jane (Henderson) Linbarger, the former of German ancestry, and the latter a native of Jackson County, Indiana. He was one of a family of eleven children, seven of whom are now living. The family removed to Missouri in 1841, and in 1843 emigrated to Oregon, where the subject of this sketch was reared and educated. When he came to California, he first located on a ranch of 160 acres in Contra Costa County, which afterward proved to be a grant. He then sold his improvements there and went to San Joaquin County, where he purchased property and engaged in farming; then sold out, went away and bought and sold again; returned to San Joaquin County, bought 160 acres of land, which he improved; then sold out, and this time came to Ventura County. He here engaged in stock-raising for five years; was then absent from the county for a period of time, after which he returned and continued the same business four years more. In 1882 he purchased his present ranch of 100 acres, located two miles west of Santa Paula. He improved the property by erecting buildings, etc., and engaged in raising barley and hogs, for four years. He then turned his attention to the production of Lima beans, of which he is now raising large crops, at remunerative prices. The work is all done by machinery, so that the labor is not severe.
Mr. Linbarger was married in February, 1858, to Miss Malinda F. Blevins, of Oregon, and daughter of Alexander Blevins, who emigrated there in 1843. They have three children: Mary J., born in Contra Costa County, is now the wife of Allen Baker, and resides in Santa Paula; Nancy Lucinda, born in San Joaquin County, married F. M. Edgar, and also resides in Santa Paula; and Charles L., born in Linn County, Oregon, is married and lives on his father's ranch. Mr. Linbarger is a Democrat.
L. M. Lloyd, a prominent business man of San Buenaventura, and a large property holder, was born in Lee County, Virginia, November 23, 1835. His father, Absalom Lloyd, was also a Virginian; but his great-grandfather, J. Lloyd, came from Wales. His mother, Elizabeth (Willis) Lloyd, was born in Johnson County, Tennessee, the daughter of Rev. Louis Willis, a clergyman of the Methodist Church; they were of German descent. Mr. Lloyd's father was married twice, and he was the first child of the second family. He studied law under the direction of General Tutt, of St. Joseph, Missouri, three years, and then was admitted to the bar. In August following he enlisted in Company C., Third Missouri Cavalry; was at first elected a First Lieutenant, and was afterward promoted to Captain. His term of service expiring at the end of three years, he went to Colorado and engaged in freighting from Nebraska to Denver. He was the first returned Confederate soldier that was admitted to the bar in Nebraska, awaiting the decision concerning the test oath, by Chief Justice Mason until sometime in 1866; he continued in his profession in Nebraska City until 1871, when he returned to his old home in Missouri and lived there many years engaged in his calling. In 1874 he was elected States Attorney for two years, on the Democratic ticket, and in 1876 was re-elected. In 1878 he was elected to the State Senate from the Sixteenth Senatorial District, and also for the revision session of the State Constitutional Convention, serving three sessions. In 1884 he was appointed assignee of the Newton County Bank, under a bond of $190,000; and in 1888 he closed the estate, having settled every claim against the bank. In 1886 he visited California and Ventura County, and made investments which proved very successful. He bought 4,000 acres joining the town of San Buenaventura and partly in the corporation. A part of this property he sold at greatly advanced prices. He also owns three-fourths of the stock of the Ventura Land and Water Company, which firm owns 5,200 acres of land, subdivided, one of the finest stock and fruit ranches in the county. They have settled upon it a colony with a school-house. On his property here in the city he has built a beautiful residence, laid out large grounds and planted flowers, shrubs and ornamental trees; it will soon be the most delightful suburban resort and property in the whole county. This ranch is stocked with cattle and horses. He has also a three-fourths interest in a fine large furniture store in Ventura, stocked heavily with choice cabinet-ware, over which Warren E. Lloyd, his son, presides. While it is his good fortune to have quite a good share of this world's goods, it does not render him in the least van; and he may be seen at work with shovel and spade with his men, planting his trees and ornamenting his grounds, - as hard at work as if for wages to support his wife and children. He is a sagacious, well-informed business man and enjoys the good-will of his fellow citizens. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the A. O. U. W. Also one of the promoters and trustees of the Scorrit College at Neosho, Missouri.
In 1864 he married Miss Sarah E. Bramel, born in 1839, in Missouri. Her father, John H., was a native of Virginia. They have six children: Lee W., now in the University at Berkeley, will graduate in 1892; Lora V., married to Mr. M. L. Montgomery; Warren E., at home with his father; Roberta T., also now in the University; Ralph B., and Eleanor P. Mr. Lloyd and his wife and family are members of the Methodist Church, South. They have been largely instrumental in the erection of a fine church edifice in Ventura, having donated about one-third of the cost of the property. They believe that Christianity should be the paramount principle in life, and that Christian institutions should be liberally supported.
Anna M. Logan. - On one of the nicest residence streets in the heart of Santa Paula, and in one of the most artistic houses in the place, lives Mrs. Anna M. Logan, widow of Dr. Marshall L. Logan, who was a prominent citizen and dentist of Tyrone, Pennsylvania. The Doctor was born at Saulsburg, Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania, August 21, 1844. When quite young he was bereft of his parents by death, and left to his own resources, but succeeded in gaining a liberal education in the public schools and in the Philadelphia University. When the great civil war broke out, with the patriotism of a hero and the ardor of youth, he enlisted in the service of his country in the Twenty second Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry, and fought through that great struggle with distinction and honor, until he beheld the banner of victory floating over a preserved and undivided country. He returned to his home and took up the study of dentistry, and in 1871 went to Tyrone, where with signal success he practiced his profession for fifteen years. He rapidly rose to a position of distinction in his profession, and conducted it in a strictly upright and honorable manner, and enjoyed the respect of his fellow-citizens and a lucrative practice. He was the inventor of the Logan Tooth Crown, which is now in use by dentists throughout the world. Dr. Logan was married November 23, 1869, to Miss Anna Raney, a native of Pennsylvania, born October 27, 1846. Her father, Alexander Raney, was a native of Pennsylvania, a well-to-do farmer, who like many others lost his eldest son in the great Rebellion. The Doctor and Mrs. Logan had a family of three children, two daughters and a son, all born at Tyrone, Pennsylvania: Gertrude E., Mary A. and George Burkett. Dr. Logan had received two wounds while fighting in the defense of his country, one by a spent ball in the left lung, and one in the back of his head, and it is believed that the wound in the lung induced consumption, which terminated in his death. It first manifested itself in 1883, and December 9, 1885, he died. At the time of his death he was a member of the school board, a member of the Masonic fraternity, and of the independent order of Odd Fellows. He was also an honorable member of the Pennsylvania State Dental Society. Dr. Logan had been for years a consistent member of the Methodist church, and a regular attendant at church and Sabbath-school. He was a man of pleasing manner and fine ability, and took an active part in the organizations to which he belonged, as well as in the schools and public welfare. His loss was felt not only by his bereaved wife and children, but by the whole county in which he lived. Resolutions of high esteem and condolence were tendered to Mrs. Logan by his societies and the school board of which he was a member. His funeral was one of the largest ever known in that county.
In 1887, after settling up her business in Tyrone, Mrs. Logan, with her children, came to Santa Paula and invested $4,000 in the property where she now resides. Besides the beautiful residence which, with her children, she occupies, she owns three other houses which she rents, all being valued at $12,000, and she lives upon her rents and interest. She is a lady of refinement and intelligence, and has been very successful in business.
B. F. Maddox, one of the business men of Nordhoff, is a native of Kentucky, born in Pendleton County, January 12, 1844. He is a son of William Maddox, a native of Ohio, who for many years resided in Kentucky, was married to Miss Brandenburgh, and lived on a plantation. Mrs. Maddox died of cholera in 1857. His father was afterward married to a second wife, and was the father of eighteen children, ten by his first wife, and eight by the second, all except two living to adult age.
When the subject of this sketch was ten years of age the family moved to Illinois. In December, 1861, he enlisted in Company E, Fifty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, as a private soldier, and participated in all the engagements of the West from Fort Henry to Fort Donelson, the battle of Shiloh, the advance on Corinth, and the battle of Corinth in 1862. He was with General Sherman on his memorable march from Atlanta to the sea, and was at Washington during the grand review, when the magnificent victorious army made its triumphant march through the great capital of the country their deeds had saved. Mr. Maddox received no wound, but suffered much from diarrhoea, from the effects of which he has never fully recovered. Four of his brothers were also in the Union army, one of whom lost his life and another came near dying in prison.
At the close of the war Mr. Maddox was mustered out, and went to Kansas, where he took a Government claim which he improved and on which he lived until 1874. In that year he came to Ventura County, California. Mr. Maddox was a carpenter, and worked at his trade five years in Ventura, where he met with a very slight accident which resulted in the loss of the use of his right hand. He received a wound from a scratch-awl, and went to a physician to have something applied to remove the soreness. The doctor injected carbolic acid, full strength, and blood poisoning did the rest, causing Mr. Maddox to be a cripple for life. He then took up a small piece of land in the Matilija Canon on Ventura River, and kept an apiary. He was there elected road commissioner, and held the office eight years. In 1886 he came to Nordhoff, purchased a lot, and erected a very pleasant home. He also bought another lot and built a livery stable, and dealt some in real estate, being very successful in his transactions. His livery stable is now the only one in the town. It is well equipped throughout, Mr. Maddox keeping sixteen horses and ten conveyances. He has one team composed of fine grays, Richmond stock, that being considered the best stock in the country.
In 1872 Mr. Maddox was narrued to Miss Jennie R. Whaley, who was born in Canada, and is a daughter of William Whaley, a native of Ireland. Their union has been blessed with two sons and two daughters - Lela, Eugenia, Harry E. and Foster F. In political matters Mr. Maddox is a Democrat. His wife is a member of the Presbyterian church.
Dr. Joshua Marks, one of the prominent citizens of Ventura County, was born in Richmond, Virginia, July 12, 1816. His father, Mordecai Marks, was a native of Prussia, came to the United States when a youth, was reared in Virginia, and was a merchant there for many years. The Doctor's mother, nee Esther Raphael, was a daughter of Solomon Raphael, a tobacconist, and a descendant of the great painter Raphael. Her maternal ancestors were settlers of Pennsylvania, her great-grandfather, Solomon Jacobs, and her grandmother, Marion Jacobs, having come to this country with William Penn and settled in Philadelphia. Solomon Raphael, one member of the family, was appointed by the Masonic Grand Lodge of Virginia as one of the gentlemen to receive General La Fayette on his visit to this country.
At the age of eight years the subject of this sketch left Virginia, and was educated in New York city, at the college of Baldwin & Forest, on Warren Street, and at the Medical College of New Orleans, graduating at the latter place in 1847. He was appointed by Major Chepin of the Commissary Department of the United States army, as Assistant Surgeon under Doctor McFale, and was in Mexico during its occupation by the American army. He began the practice of his profession in Matamoros. During his stay in Mexico, the Asiatic cholera made its appearance there, in 1849, and was most malignant and deadly. The Governor of the country advised him to follow the disease, and gave him letters of introduction to the most prominent people and also to the Governor of Durango, stating how successfully he had treated the cholera, first at Saltillo and various other places, after which he went to the city of Mexico, and was given a part of the city to attend during the prevalence of cholera. He was examined by a medical faculty of Zacatecas, and received a license, in accordance with the law. His reputation in the treatment of the disease became such that he was paid $800 for twenty days' service, and $4,000 for 4,000 doses of his medicine with directions for use. A Gentleman, acting as his agent, sold $1,000 worth of the medicine at one time. He had six assistants giving the medicine under his direction, and so astonishing was its success that, by actual count, of 600 who received it only five deaths occurred. Some of this number took the medicine in the first stages of the disease. After this Doctor Marks was appointed surgeon on the steamship Independence on the Nicaragua route from San Francisco, and after making several trips both he and the Captain left the ship because they did not consider her seaworthy.
The Doctor remained in California, and was elected County Physician of Mariposa County, and also held the same position in Placer County. He built the County Hospital and sold it to the city, and was County Physician and had full charge of the indigent sick in Stanislaus County. After leaving that place he went to San Francisco, where he practiced his profession for a number of years, and was a member of the Medical Society there. In 1861 he was appointed by Governor Downey, State Vaccine Agent. He is now a practicing physician of Ventura County and has charge of the County Hospital of Ventura. His long experience and special qualifications fit him to perform the duties of this office with both credit to himself and the county.
The Doctor was married, in 1853, to Miss Catharine Curtis, in Sacramento. They have two sons: Joseph Edward, born in El Dorado county, May 20, 1855, now a lawyer of Santa Cruz; and Ide, also born in El Dorado County, February 18, 1857, is assisting his father in the hospital. Mrs. Marks arrived in California in 1847, and was elected an honorary member of the Pioneers' Society of California.
In a work of this character it is fitting that the name of Jacob Maulhardt should find a place, and that mention should be made of his life and successful career as a rancher of Ventura County. He was born in Prussia, of German parents, June 30, 1841, and came to California July 7, 1867. He had received his education and had learned the carpenter's trade in his native land; and after coming to this State he engaged in sheep-raising in Contra Costa County, on the shares. In 1869 he went to Tulare County, and there devoted his time to farming. In June, 1870, he located in Santa Clara Valley, Ventura County, and here purchased 410 acres of choice farming land at $10 per acre. This property he still retains, and has since added to it seventy-five acres at a cost of $50 per acre, and later bought 312 acres of choice farming land at a cost of $7,100. He has erected a large barn and fine residence, which can be seen for miles around in every direction - a place of beauty and a credit to the country. He is conducting his farming operations on a large scale, his principal crop being grain. He also raises fruit for family use, and for his friends. The total value of his property now is about $100,000.
Mr. Maulhardt was married in 1865, to Miss Dorothy Kohlar, who is also a native of Germany, and whose parents were German farmers. They have five children: Henry, the eldest, born in Europe; Emma, a native of Contra Costa County, California; Louisa, born in Tulare County; and Adolph and Mary, born at their present home in Ventura County.
Mr. Maulhardt is a Democrat and takes an active part in political matters, having attended the county conventions of his party, as a delegate, since 1876. He and his family are members of the Catholic Church.
J. E. McCoy was born in Placerville, California, June 7, 1864. His father, J. D. D. McCoy, was born in Canada in 1835, was the pioneer hotel proprietor of Hueneme, and now resides at Portland, Oregon. His ancestors were Scotch, but residents of America for many generations. Mr. McCoy's mother, Margaret (Lynch) McCoy, died when the subject of this sketch was quite young, leaving a family of ten children. Mr. McCoy was reared and educated in Ventura and Hueneme, and began his business career in a hotel. He has owned the Seaside Hotel for the past five years. This house was built by Mr. Judkins twenty-two years ago, and Mr. McCoy's father bought it, made some additions to the building, and opened it to the public, conducting the business for fifteen years. Since it has been in the possession of Mr. McCoy, Jr., he has remodeled and enlarged the building. It is as old as the town itself, is well managed, and is provided with a good table.
Mr. McCoy was married April 17, 1884, to Miss Ina Woodruff, a native of Pennsylvania, and daughter of William and E. A. Woodruff, who reside in Hueneme. Mr. and Mrs. McCoy have one child, Maggie, born in Hueneme, March 17, 1885.
The subject of this sketch votes the Republican ticket, but is not an active politician. He is a well-known business man in the county, and has been identified with the best interests of Hueneme since its beginning.
D. McGrath is one of the old settlers and respected citizens of the Santa Clara Valley, Ventura County, California. He was born in Longford County, Ireland, in the year 1832, and his parents, Peter and Mary (Davis) McGrath, were also natives of the "Emerald Isle." He was the youngest, except one, of a family of six children, received his education in the country schools of his native place, and, at the age of twenty years, came to America. For six years he lived in the State of New York, after which he came to Alameda County, California, about the year 1861, and worked for wages on a ranch for nearly four years. He became interested in the sheep business and followed that occupation six or seven years. In 1876 he removed to Ventura County, and purchased his present tract of land, know as the Rice tract, which contains 1,300 acres. He has improved the property, planted trees, and, in 1879, built a large and comfortable house, in which to spend the evening of his days. When he first moved to the ranch he lived in a little clapboard house, but, under his management, the premises now have the appearance of comfort and affluence. Mr. McGrath has made farming his life business, his principal crops being barley and corn.
He was united in marriage, since coming to California, to Miss Bridget Donlon, daughter of James Donlon, of Ireland, and an aunt of James Donlon, the Ventura County Assessor. The have had thirteen children, ten of whom are living, four sons and six daughters. They were all born in California, and their names are as follows: Mary T., Maggie, Lizzie, Nellie, Josephine, Annie, James H., Joseph, Frank and Robert. Mary T. is the wife of Bernard Hanly, a resident of Oakland, California. The other children reside with their father. After many years of happy wedded life, and after rearing a large family of children, Mrs. McGrath died of heart disease, in 1888. She was a devoted wife, a loving and faithful mother, and a true and earnest Christian, and is greatly missed by her family and many friends. The whole family are members of the Catholic Church.
In his political views, Mr. McGrath is independent, always selecting what he believes to be the best man. Mr. McGrath has seen and can appreciate the many changes that have taken place in Ventura County in the last few years. He came here at a time when people thought grain could not be raised in this section of the country; but all these fertile valleys needed was the hand of toil rightly directed. Enterprising and progressive men from different parts of the world have settled here, and the work of development has gone on until Ventura County is now one of the most attractive and productive counties of the great State of California.
William McGuire was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, April 29, 1846. His father, Thomas McGuire, was also a native of Ohio, and his grandfather, Francis McGuire, was born in Virginia. His great-grandfather, William McGuire, was a native of the north of Ireland, came to America before the Revolution, participated in that struggle, and lost his life for independence. Mr. McGuire's mother, nee Sarah Johnson, was born in Orange County, New York, daughter of Henry Johnson, a native of the same county. They were of German ancestry, and are in the line of heirs of the New York Trinity Church property. Mr. McGuire's parents had three children, of whom the subject of this sketch and his sister, a resident of Ventura County, are living. Mr. McGuire was reared in Ohio. He began life as a photographer. On account of ill health he was obliged to abandon it and engaged in out-door employment. In 1875 he came to Ventura County, California, and bought a small place on the Avenue near San Buenaventura city. He built upon and improved the property, and when his health recovered he engaged in milling with Thomas Clark, in the Ventura mill. After this, Mr. McGuire purchased 262 acres of land in the beautiful Upper Ojai Valley, and has here erected a comfortable house and barns, and is engaged in stock-raising, and also producing large quantities of hay, which he feeds to his horses and cattle.
Mr. McGuire was united in marriage, in 1875, with Miss Nancy Darrah, a native of Ohio, and daughter of William and Elizabeth Darrah. This union has been blessed with eight children, all but one living, and all born in Ventura County, viz.: Corena, William, Myrta A., Thomas, Sarah, Claus and Katie B.
Mr. McGuire is an enterprising, intelligent business man, one whose influence for good is felt in the community. He is now serving his district as School Trustee. Politically he is a Democrat; and socially affiliated with the Masonic fraternity.
James McKee is the Nordhoff Justice of the Peace, and he also holds the office of Notary Public for the town and Ventura County by appointment of his excelleancy, Governor Waterman. Mr. McKee dates his birth near Napoleon, Ripley County, Indiana, September 15, 1837. His father, Samuel McKee, was a native of Indiana, and his grandfather, David McKee, was born in Vermont. They are of Scotch ancestry. His mother, Emily (Langston) McKee, was born in Indiana, the daughter of Mr. Bennet Langston, a native of North Carolina. His parents had four children, of whom he is the oldest. Three are now living. He was reared and educated in Indiana, and began life as a teacher, but the great civil war broke in on his plans, after he had taught two years in the Ripley County schools. In the year 1862, it will be remembered, the great war had become a serious matter. The brave armies of the Union had met in mortal combat the ardent and heroic armies of the South, and the former had met with many severe reverses, and many of the brave men on both sides had been slain and many had been returned to their homes mutilated for life. The outlook was dark, indeed. And at such a time as this, Mr. McKee felt it to be his duty to give up teaching and enlist in the service of his country. He enlisted in Company F, Sixty-eighth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was First Duty Sergeant of his company. He participated in the battles of Munfordville, and on September 12, 1862, was taken prisoner, and was paroled and sent back to his State: soon after he was exchanged. He was sent to the front on detached duty at Nashville, where he was prostrated with disease and sent to the hospital, remaining there two months. The medical directors ordered him home to see if he could regain his health. He partially recovered, reported for duty and was detached as indorsement clerk at Indianapolis. He remained there until after the close of the war, and on June 30, 1865, was mustered out of the service.
Mr. McKee then returned to his home and again took up his old profession and taught as Principal of Napoleon Schools until 1875, when his health gave out. As a last resort to save his life, he was sent to this coast. When recovery was almost effected he returned and removed to Iowa, where he remained five years, in agricultural pursuits. He then disposed of his property in Iowa and permanently settled in Nordhoff, California, in 1887. He purchased a small ranch and has a nice place planted to fruits, vines and flowers.
In 1857 Mr. McKee was married to Miss Nancy C. Eaton, a native of Indiana, daughter of Mr. Edmund Eaton, who was born in Vermont. They have had four children, two of whom are living, both born in Napoleon, Indiana: Sarah Ellen is the wife of Mr. John Linder and resides at Nordhoff, and Clarence lives with his parents. Mr. McKee became a Republican when the party was organized and has seen no good reason to leave its ranks. He is a member of the Baptist Church and his wife is a member of the Christian Church.
Hon. Lemuel C. McKeeby came to Ventura in 1868 from Carson City, Nevada. He was born in New York city in 1825, and received his education there. His father, Edward McKeeby, was of Scotch descent and a native of New York. His mother, nee Catharine Miller, was born in New York and was a descendant of one of the old German families of that city. His great-grandfather was a soldier in Revolutionary war. Mr. McKeeby served one year as private in the service of the United States during and until the close of the war with Mexico, when he was honorably discharged. He then made Milwaukee, Wisconsin, his home. In 1850 he came to California and engaged in mining, and was always a successful miner. He mined at French Corral and Sebastopol principally; was the first to introduce rubber hose for hydraulic mining, which was at Sebastopol, Nevada County. He there, with his associates, carried on a large mine, the weekly yield being from $2,000 to $4,000. His company also put a flume in the Yuba River twenty feet wide, at a cost of $20,000. During his mining operations his gold was sent by Wells, Fargo & Co's Express to Marysville and to San Francisco, where it yielded an average of $14 per ounce. From this mine he went to Carson City, and with others erected a factory and engaged in the manufacture of sulphuric acid. In this enterprise he was also successful. The expense at this time, 1863, of getting the mateial - some fifteen tons in all - to commence operations, to that place from San Francisco, was ten cents per pound. The demand for the acid diminished and he sold out. While there he was elected Justice of the Peace and Police Judge. He was also elected a member of the first Legislature from the city of Carson, State of Nevada, and had the honor, in joint convention, of placing in nomination Hon. J. W. Nye for United States Senator; Governor Nye and Wm. M. Stewart were the two first United States Senators elected from that State.
Mr. McKeeby came to Ventura and engaged in the mercantile business, but for the past ten years has been engaged in the active practice of his profession, and is considered a very careful and successful lawyer. He has always been identified with the business interests of the town and county, and was one of the organizers of the first bank in the city - the Bank of Ventura - and is now its attorney and vice-president. He also took a prominent part in the organization of the public library of the city. The first meetings for its organization wer held in his house, and he has been President of its Board of Trustees for many years. He is a charter member of the Masonic order, helped in the organization of the lodge, and was its first W. M., and continued such for many years.
In 1857 he was united in marriage to Miss Caroline A. Sampson, a native of the State of Maine. She is a daughter of Mr. Sampson of that State, and a niece of Mr. Owen Lovejoy. Their union has been blessed with four children, thre of whom are living, viz.: Charles B., born in Nevada County, California, now a farmer in Ventura; Mary A., also born in Nevada County, California, is the wife of A. G. Bartlett, of Los Angeles, a member of the firm of Bartlett Bros., of Ventura and Los Angeles; George L., born in Ventura, is now living with his parents.
Mr. McKeeby has been a Republican since the war. He and his family are leading members of the Episcopal Church. They are people of high standing in the city in which they have lived so long and are identified with all its best interests.
On June 1, 1890, he was appointed Deputy Collector of Internal Revenue for the First District of California, to reside at Los Angeles.
Charles H. McKevett, prominent as a business man of Santa Paula, was born in Cortland County, New York, October 3, 1848. His parents were born in the same State. His grandfather, Alexander McKevett, was born in Scotland and came to New York when a boy. Mr. McKevett commenced work on his own account in the oil business in Pennsylvania, first for wages and afterward under contracts to drill wells, and still later in operating for himself. He followed the oil business in Pennsylvania and adjoining States successfully for twenty years, and by his enterprise secured a comfortable fortune; and then, desiring to secure a home in a more genial climate, he came to California, in January, 1886. He visited different parts of the State and selected Santa Paula for a location, although at that time there was no railroad to that place. He purchased 425 acres of the Bradley and Blanchard rancho, extending from near the center of town out into the country. Part of this he subdivided and sold. The remainder he has improved. Has now over over sixty acres of both citrus and deciduous fruit trees; also thirty acres of eucalyptus. Mr. McKevett was one of the organizers of the Bank of Santa Paula, January 17, 1888, of which he was vice president; George H. Bonebrake, President, and J. R. Haugh, Cashier. On September 23, 1889, the bank was converted into the First National Bank of Santa Paula. Mr. McKevett was elected president, which position he now holds. This bank has a paid up capital of $75,000, is the only national bank in the county, and is doing a good business. He was one of the organizers and president of the Santa Paula Lumber Company: this is now part of the Ventura County, Lumber Company of which he is a director. He is treasurer of the Santa Paula Fruit Packing Company, and is secretary of the Santa Paula Academy.
Mr. McKevett is a member of the Universalist Church, is a Knight Templar and an Odd Fellow, and in politics is a Republican. In 1873 he was married to Miss Alice Stowell, a native of Pennsylvania. They have three children, two of whom were born in Pennsylvania, and the third, a daughter, in Santa Paula.
Peter McMillan, one of the pioneers of Santa Paula, Ventura County, was born in Canada, March 31, 1834. His parents, Donald and Mary McMillan, were natives of Canada, and both of Scotch descent. Mrs. McMillan's maiden name was the same as her husband's, while they were not relatives. In 1870 Mr. McMillan came to Santa Paula. For eighteen months he was employed on a ranch, working for wages, after which he rented lands and, for two years, raised barley and corn. He was not successful in that enterprise, and again worked by the month for a year. In 1874 he built a livery stable - the third building in Santa Paula - which served as a station on the stage route between Santa Barbara and Los Angeles. Mr. McMillan had charge of eight stage horses all the time, turning out that many at 4 o'clock every morning, and the same number at 9 o'clock in the evening. His livery stock consisted of two horses, a wagon and a spring buggy. One of the horses with which he began business, Salem, is now twenty-six years old, is a good horse yet and is some times let for light work. Mr. McMillan bought the ground for his stable and also the lumber to build on time. For eight years he worked along without getting much ahead. He then purchased three acres on Main street for $350, and from this he sold the lots on which Cleveland Hall and the Petrolia Hotel are built, for $45 per foot front. He also owns two acres a little further out on the same street, his home property and some other lots. His livery business has increased until he now has nine rigs and fourteen good horses, and is raising some valuable colts. Mr. McMillan has been fairly successful in his business enterprises, and is one of the reliable old settlers of Santa Paula.
December 24, 1884, Mr. McMillan, like his father, wedded a lady of his own name, Mrs. McMillan. She was born in New Brunswick; is the daughter of John Murray and widow of William McMillan. She has two children by her first husband, William and Nellie. Mrs. McMillan is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. McMillan is affiliated with the I. O. O. F. fraternity, and in his political views is a Republican.
John Mears is one of the pioneers of California who came to the State in 1859, and to Ventura in 1869, before the county was formed. Mr. Mears was born in Ireland, in 1844, and at the age of eleven years came to the United States and lived with his aunt, his education being principally obtained in this country. When only a large boy he started for Illinois and went from there to Pike's Peak. After he had made enough money to purchase an outfit, he decided to cross the plains for California. He found some difficulty in getting any one to go with him, but at last a young German agreed to accompany him. They secured a one-horse wagon and covered it with canvas, having a pole in it in place of thills. They attached four yoke of oxen to the wagon and, with provisions enough to last, set out on their perilous journey June 20, 1859, from that part of Colorado where Denver is now located. They were not many days on the way until they encountered swollen streams. The first they crossed without sustaining any serious loss, but the second proved more difficult, as their wagon was wrecked and the most of the provisions lost. The German could not swim, so clung to a part of the wagon. Mr. Mears, while trying to get out of the wagon, got his foot fastened and hung with his head in the water, and would shortly have been drowned had not some plunge of the oxen set him free. He then succeeded in reaching some logs and was carried down the stream nearly a quarter of a mile, when some other emigrants who had come up rescued him. He found the German on the bank, minus his hat. One of the wheels of the wagon was broken, and their clothes, money and provisions lost in the stream. Their first conclusions was to return, and Mr. Mears let an emigrant who had helped them have one yoke of the oxen to add to his team, on the condition that if he did well he would send back the pay for it. They found a sack of their flour, and the German proposed that they rig up the rear wheels of the wagon, start forward and overtake the emigrants, and in company with them work their way through. With willow bark they fastened the end-board of the wagon on the hind axle tree and secured the sack of flour to that; and, cold and wet and hungry, they started on and in time feel in with the emigrants. By shooting game they managed to subsist until they reached California, six months later.
While at Pike's Peak Mr. Mears had become acquainted with a number of young Indians, and run races and jumped with them, and an Indian chief had taken a great fancy to a navy-blue coat he had, which Mr. Mears gave him. The Indian in return presented Mr. Mears with a buffalo robe. While out on the plains Mr. Mears was some distance from the train hunting, and on his return saw about fifty Indians about the emigrants, the emigrant train, which consisted of about fifteen wagons, having been stopped by the Indians. Mr. Mears was somewhat alarmed, but knew it was useless to attempt an escape, so walked up. The chief recognized him as the gentleman who had given him the coat, shook hands, and gave him to understand that they wanted water for a sick man. The emigrants fearing they would not have a sufficient supply for themselves, had refused to give them the water. Mr. Mears gave them water and also a little whisky for the sick man, for which the Indians gave signs of great satisfaction, and the train was permitted to proceed.
When Mr. Mears came to Ventura County he first settled on the Santa Ana. At that time there were no settlers there except Mr. Arness and another gentleman. Between where he now lives and San Buenaventura there were only about five houses, which were occupied by Mr. Montgomery, Mr. McKenna, Mr. Peter Boyle and others. In 1870 Mr. Mears moved upon the quarter-section of land three miles north of Santa Paula, which he had purchased from the Government, and there kept bachelor's hall for four years, being engaged in sheep-raising, having as many as 8,000 head of sheep and employing ten men, Americans and Spaniards, to assist him in their care. His wool was sent by schooner to San Francisco, and they drove the fat sheep to that city for market. It required two months to make the journey, taking 2,000 sheep at a time. Mr. Mears has added to his first purchase until he now has 1,700 acres, and is engaged in general farming, raising sheep, horses and cattle, and beans, barley, corn and hay. His pasture land is valued at $10 per acre, and the farming land at $150 per acre.
In 1874 Mr. Mears married Miss Ellen Lavelle, at Ventura. She is a native of the "Emerald Isle," born in 1856. They have built a comfortable home, surrounded with trees, on the banks of the Santa Paula River. They have a family of six children: John W., Frances E., George H., Florence, Ellen C., and Lawrence M. L. Their first born, a beautiful little girl, they lost when two years and nine months of age. A bean got fast in her windpipe, and before medical aid could be obtained it went to her lungs and caused her death. A fine picture of this little daughter hangs in their parlor.
Mr. and Mrs. Mears are members of the Catholic Church. For the past fifteen years Mr. Mears has served as a School Trustee in his district. His political views are Democratic. Notwithstanding all that he has seen and experienced of pioneer life and adventures, Mr. Mears is still a young man. He is a worthy and respected citizen, and holds a prominent place in the community in which he resides.
E. E. Moore of Santa Paula, is a pioneer of the State of California. He was born in New York, of which State his father, John Moore, was also a native, and his mother, whose maiden name was Lydia Todd, a daughter of Jared Todd. The ancestors of the family on both sides have been Americans, tracing as far back as the early settlement of this country. In John Moore's family were ten children, five of whom are still living. The subject of this notice was born September5, 1837, and was three years old when the family removed to Hillsdale County, Michigan, where he was brought up on a farm. In 1859 he came to California and engaged in mining in Placer County, and afterward eight or nine years in the State of Nevada, with varied success. In 1869 he came to what was then Santa Barbara County, now Ventura, and bought a squatter's claim a mile and a quarter east of Santa Paula, built a house and improved the place (100 acres), which he still owns and to which he has added other ten acres by purchase. He carries on general farming. He has recently built a nice town residence on Eighty street, Sant Paula, where he now resides with his family, in a quiet and unassuming way, surrounded with the comforts of life, the well earned results of strict economy and industry. Mr. Moore has ever been a Republican; is a generous neighbor and kind husband and father. In 1872 he married Miss Annie Warren, a native of Wisconsin, born August 19, 1855, and they have one son, Enos Leroy, born in Santa Paula, August 26, 1877.
Thomas R. More, of Santa Barbara, was born in the village of Santa Barbara in 1856; attended college two years at Cornell University and two years at the Michigan State University at Ann Arbor, in the scientific course. March 24, 1880, he married Miss Mary Den, and they have five children. Mr. More is a member of the Young Men's Institute and of the Native Sons of the Golden West. His father, T. Wallace More, was born at Copley, Summit County, Ohio, in 1826, and in 1849 came to California with his brother. He and his brother, Alexander P. More, owned the famous Santa Rosa Island, which contains nearly 70,000 acres, and over which graze 60,000 sheep. T. Wallace More was married in Santa Barbara, in 1852, to a daughter of Mr. Hill, who was one of the earliest American settlers in Santa Barbara. he married a daughter of the famous Ortega family. T. R. More lived on the Dos Pueblos ranch from 1884 to 1889, looking after his fine-bred cattle and horses. While at Ann Arbor he was under the especial instructions of Professor Moses Coit Tyler, whose only son is married to Susie E. Den, a sister of Mrs. T. R. More.
Mr. More is a poet, having just completed a long poem, which will shortly be published.
John R. Myers came to Ventura, in 1874, directly from his native State, Iowa. He was born in Clayton County, July 1, 1846. His father, Jacob K. Myers, is a native of Beverly, Randolph County, Virginia, born in 1824. His grandfather, John Myers, was also a Virginian. They were of German descent. His mother, Elizabeth (Wood) Myers, was born in North Island, Vermont, a daughter of Nathaniel Wood, of that State. Their ancestors, on the paternal side, were English, and on the maternal side, Irish. Mr. Myers was the oldest of three children. He was reared on a farm and educated as other farmer boys, learning to work and getting his book education between times. This fitted him for the life of a farmer which he has since followed. When he was nineteen years old he bought a colt, which was the first property he ever owned. At that time he began to do for himself. When twenty-two years of age, he bought eighty acres of land in western Iowa. On this property he built and made improvements and, after farming it eight years, sold it to come to Ventura, California. His first purchase here was ten acres of land. He improved it and lived on it seven years, then sold, and in July, 1882, bought his present fine property of twenty-three acres, on Ventura avenue, the best street in the city. He has planted the property to English walnuts, apricots, apples and other varieties of fruit. Between the younger trees, as his groves were growing, he has raised large crops of Lima beans, which have proved very remunerative.
In 1869 he was united in marriage to Miss Elena Dodge, a native of Oswego, New York, daughter of Mr. Samuel Dodge, a farmer of that locality. Their ancestors were English. This union has been blessed with three children, a daughter and two sons: Verner D. and Mary E., born in Monona County, Iowa, and Frank S., born in Ventura. The eldest died in his fourth year. Mr. and Mrs. Myers are both members of the Methodist Church, and, in politics, he is a Republican. They are enjoying life in their beautiful California home, engaged in the general employments attending fruit culture.