Biographical Sketches N-O-P-R Surnames
"A Memorial and Biographical History of the
Counties of Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, and Ventura Counties"
By Yda Addis Storke
J. F. Newby, an influential citizen of Ventura, was born in Wayne County, Indiana, January 3, 1841. His father, Gabriel Newby, a native of North Carolina, was an enthusiastic supporter of Henry Harrison. He served as County Commissioner of Wayne County for eight years, and was highly commended for services rendered. Thomas Newby, of the firm of Morrison & Newby, of Cambridge City, Indiana, an uncle of the subject of this sketch, was one of the highest Masons of the United States. The Newby Lodge there was named for him. Mr. Newby's grandfather, Gabriel Newby, of North Carolina, was one of the first settlers of that State. The family have been noted for their patriotism, love of liberty and hatred of oppression. His great-grandfather liberated all his slaves, numbering more than 100 persons - an act very unusual at that early day. Mr. Newby's ancestors were Quakers, the original progenitors of the family having come to America from England and Scotland. His mother was Rebecca (Harvey) Newby. It is his impression that she was a native of North Carolina. She died when he was only four years of age, and the family afterward moved to Lee County, Iowa. His father was long a leading business man of Cambridge City. Mr. Newby was next to the youngest of a family of eight children. In 1857 he went to Leavenworth, Kansas, and while there was an enthusiastic supporter of James Lane, being there during the time of the Kansas troubles. From there he went to St. Louis, and then to St. Joseph, Missouri, where, for a time, he clerked in the post office. In 1859 he removed to New York city, was there four years, a portion of that time being clerk in the St. Nicholas Hotel; and from there he returned to Leavenworth, and was in partnership, dealing in dry goods and notions with Mr. Bloomingdale, now a wholesale merchant of New York city. In 1864, during Price's raid, word was sent to Leavenworth that Price was going to burn the town. A meeting was called to devise means for protection, of which meeting Mr. Newby was elected chairman. They decided to raise and equip a company from the business men of the town. Mr. Newby was Orderly Sergeant of this company. General Curtis met and defeated Price, and the town was saved. Owing to the excessive rents, they moved to St. Joseph and continued business there about two years. Fire caught in an adjoining building and his store was burned out. Mr. Newby was a sever loser. He was not out of business long, however, for he soon engaged in ornamental tree planting, and was very successful.
In 1874 he came to California. After he had been two years in San Buenaventura the town was reorganized, and in December, 1877, he was elected Town Clerk and Assessor, and has held the office very since with the exception of two years, his last majority being the largest of any town officer. He has thus far performed the duties of this office with credit to himself and satisfaction to his fellow-citizens. Mr. Newby was one of the men who was helpful in organizing the Town Library, of which the residents are now so justly proud. Some objection was made to it on the ground of expense to the town; he was instrumental in overcoming these objections, and was elected its secretary and librarian, holding the office for ten years. During his city clerk and assessorship he has collected large amounts of money to pay the school district bonds for the construction of the splendid school building, and paid off the bonds.
Mr. Newby was united in marriage, April 27, 1864, to Miss Permelia E. Sheridan, a native of Summerville, Kentucky. Her father, S. N. Sheridan, was Sheriff of Buchanan County, Missouri, Their union has been blessed with three sons and two daughters, viz.: Thomas S., John W., Edward M. and Nellie, born in St. Joseph, Missouri, and Minnie, born in Ventura.
Since his residence here Mr. Newby has been very successful in the investments he made, and he now owns a good home and several other places from which he receives rents. He is the agent of the Gas Company of Ventura. His political views have ever been in harmony with the Republican party. Mr. Newby is a gentleman who is held in high esteem by a large circle of friends and acquaintances.
William O'Hara, a rancher near Santa Paula, is a native of Bangor, Maine, born May 4, 1841. His father, Henry O'Hara, was born in Ireland, in 1804, and his mother, Nancy (Galaher) O'Hara, was born in the same country, in 1806. His parents were married in 1824, and emigrated to the State of Maine, where they lived on a farm, excepting two years spent in Illinois. In 1849 Mr. O'Hara's father came to California, and engaged in mining for two years in Tuolumne County, and returned to his home in Maine. Soon after his return the family removed to the State of Illinois, where they remained until in 1867 they came to Contra Costa County, California, where they engaged in farming until his father's death. The subject of this sketch was a miner in Virginia City, Nevada, two years. He was then sent on a mining and exploring expedition into the wilds of Arizona in search of gold, in company with C. L. Strong, and backed by the Bank of California; the expedition consisted of 100 men. They were harassed by the Indians, and a good many of their company were murdered. They fed the Indians in the day-time, but in return they made treacherous attacks upon them in the night. The expedition was finally abandoned, with a heavy loss.
In 1865 Mr. O'Hara came to Santa Paula and bought 150 acres of land, known as the Briggs tract. He afterward sold it and bought his present ranch of 160 acres, two and a fourth miles west of Santa Paula. He bought of a party who took it for Government land, and it was supposed to have been grant land, but after lawing over it for nine years to perfect his title he was obliged to buy of the ex-mission. At that time the valley was a vast mustard field, containing only a few settlers. Among them was John Montgomery, E. B. Higgins, Peter Boyle, and William McCormack. Mr. O'Hara built a small house and engaged in stock-raising. He remained here for twelve years, cooking his own food, - a second Robinson Crusoe. The little house has since been destroyed, and a stately mansion is now occupied and filled with the comforts and luxuries of life. Beautiful grounds surround the house, planted with beautiful trees and shrubs, and the whole property is transformed into a most delightful home, with its large barns and beautiful fields. The whole valley is now dotted with fine houses, beautiful trees, and wide, well cultivated fields.
Mr. William O'Hara was married in 1877, to Miss Mary E. Kelley, who was born in Napa County, California, February 17, 1858, the daughter of Michael Kelley, a native of County Kilkenny, Ireland. Her mother, Maggie (Whalen) Kelley, was also born in Ireland. Mr. and Mrs. O'Hara have two children, a boy and a girl, both born in their present home, viz.: Henry, born January 21, 1880; and Georgia, born December 12, 1886.
Mr. O'Hara's first efforts on the ranch was stock-raising, principally cattle, but afterward in raising barley, corn, and hogs. At one time he had as many as 3,000 head of stock, which never had any disease among them; the wild-cat and coyote had to be watched to keep them from stealing the young pigs. The price received for live weight was from two and a half to seven cents per pound. He is now engaged in bean raising; in 1889 he harvested fifth-seven tons, and the price is now five cents per pound; the general price is from two and a half cents to five cents, according to the market. He has added to his original purchase forty acres of hill land, and has planted 27,000 gums trees, which are doing nicely. He is also interested with his brothers, George and Hugh, and his nephew, John McClosky, in 320 acres of oil land, and their producing wells give thirty barrels per day. They have all the machinery and tools connected with the business. Mr. O'Hara built his present residence in 1887, and it is an ornament to the country. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln, and has continued to vote for the Republican party.
Henry W. Old (deceased) was one of the most respected pioneers of the Santa Clara Valley, Ventura County, California. He was born in Corwin Parish, Cornwall, England, October 5, 1834. May 4, 1845, his parents, both English people, set sail for America, bringing their family, and locating in Wisconsin. The subject of this sketch was reared and educated in that State. He spent six years of his life working in the Cliff copper mines in Wisconsin. He was after that variously employed in different places: in Illinois, then in Dodgeville, Wisconsin; in 1857 removed to Eagle River, Michigan; in 1862 went to Vermont to look after the development of a copper mine for a company, and was five months opening a mine.
While in Dodgeville, Wisconsin, on the 23d of November, 1850, Mr. Old was united in marriage to Miss Ketura Cox, a native of Plymouth, England. Before coming to this coast three children were born to them: Elizabeth A., Eliza J. and James J. With his wife and his little family he started for California, coming via the Isthmus route. He worked in the mines at Grass Valley, Nevada City, for seven years, being in the employ of a company. In 1869, with his family and his brother-in-law, Richard Cox, he came to Ventura County. Old purchased 320 acres of land in what was then a wilderness of wild mustard, where their present fine home is now located. There were no trees and no land marks, and here the family struggled along with adversity and worked with unremitting zeal, both Mr. and Mrs. Old being united in their efforts to make a comfortable home. In the course of years they succeeded admirably, their ranch being now one of the finest in the valley. They built a large and commodious house, large barns, and planted rows of Eucalyptus trees, a large orchard, plenty of small fruit, and an abundance of flowers and shrubs; and the skill and good taste combined in the planning and execution of this work have rendered it an attractive place. The ranch is supplied with plenty of artesian water. Mr. Old raised both grain and stock, while Mrs. Old took a just pride in her turkeys, ducks, and chickens, which afforded both pleasure and profit. George W. and Edith were added to their family in California.
Late in the month of May, 1889, Mr. Old was taken ill. The disease in a few days terminated in heart trouble, which caused his death June 2. To his wife and children it was very unexpected, and they deeply mourn his loss. He was an industrious man, a faithful and loving husband and father, and he died with his trust in the Saviour. He is missed by a large circle of friends and acquaintances. Their loss in his infinite gain, and he has gone to forever enjoy the reward of a well-spent life. The home he made by toil and self-denial and left to his family, is his most fitting monument.
The oldest son, James, is married and resides on the place with his mother. He is an industrious young man of good health and character, and is a support and comfort to his widowed mother in this her time of bereavement.
R. Orton, another one of California's pioneers, came to this State in 1853. He was born in New York, March 23, 1834. His father, R. Orton, was also a native of New York, and was of Scotch descent. Mr. Orton's mother, Clara (Ricknell) Orton, was born in Utica, New York. Her people were of French and English extraction. Mr. Orton was educated in Mount Pleasant, Iowa, and, after completing his studies, he engaged in the milling business, which he learned in Iowa with his father, who owned a mill.
Mr. Orton came to California during the gold excitement, and, like others, he became a miner in Volcano. He mined for a year and made as high as $50 per day; then sold out and went East. When he returned to California he engaged in milling in Santa Cruz County, and was in the business there from 1855 to 1871. He was elected Sheriff of the county, and held the office for eight years. During that time he arrested many desperate characters, guilty of high crimes. One man he followed 1,180 miles, and single-handed arrested him in a saloon, shackled him, lodged him in jail at Salt Lake City, and took the train to Ogden and thence to California. Mr. Orton again engaged in mining for two years, after which he located in San Luis Obispo County, and went into the milling business. He built a mill and remained there four years, and from there went to Watsonville, Santa Cruz County, and milled six months. He came to Ventura in 1881, and helped build the Ventura mill. He returned to Ventura February 1, 1887, and since then has improved themill from a stone to a full roller-process mill, and he is now doing the milling for Ventura and surrounding country, and ships some flour to Santa Barbara. They make the best of flour, and also grind meal and feed of every description.
Mr. Orton was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Hunt, a native of Illinois, and daughter of Mr. John Hunt, of Watsonville, California. Their union is blessed with five children, four sons and a daughter. Emma was born in Santa Cruz County, and is now the wife of William Orr, of Santa Barbara County. F. A., Edgar and John were born in Santa Cruz County, and Lucius was born in Ventura. Mr. Orton is a Master Mason, and also a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. In politics he is a Republican.
J. B. Palin. Among the many active business men with which Ventura County abounds, we find the subject of this sketch the peer of any of them. He is a native of Canada, of French parents, born within twenty miles of the State line of New York, east of the St. Lawrence River, January 6, 1847. He came to California in 1869, and to his present locality in 1873. At that time there was but little farming done in this party of the county, the land being used for stock purposes. Mr. Gries and Mr. Bell had engaged in agricultural pursuits to some extent, but the whole Pleasant Valley, nwo so beautiful with its well-tilled fields, was then a wild-looking place, indeed. Mr. Palin first worked for Mr. Savers about three years, and then engaged in raising sheep. Three years later he sold out his sheep interests, and began farming and raising horses and cattle, continuing at that business four years. aHe then purchased a large tract of land, which he is having farmed. He is also farming 1,700 acres of land in Pleasant Valley, having six men in his employ and using thirty work horses. Last year he harvested 11,000 sacks of barley. This year, 1890, he is planting 170 acres to beans, 120 to corn, and the rest to barley and wheat.
Mr. Palin is a lover of fine horses, and devotes considerable attention to breeding the Hambletonian stock. He is the owner of the valuable horse Dew Drop, which is eight years old, and is the most valuable horse of the kind now in the county. At a horse show in Santa Barbara he received a diploma for this horse, which is framed and hanging in his best room. He is also the owner of John Thompson, a very valuable and fine three-year-old colt of this breed. He owns the thoroughbred mare, Eva P. She is the mother of some fine grade colts.
Mr. Palin is a Republican and takes an active part in political matters. For some time he was a member of the County Central Republican Committee from Pleasant Valley precinct. In 1889 he was a Republican delegate to the State Senatorial Convention, and sided in the nomination of Judge Hickcock for Senator.
James Percy, a gentleman who was thrown upon his own resources at an early age, who has participated in the exciting adventures of the hunter, who has experienced the changing fortunes of the miner, and who is now a well-to-do citizen of Saticoy, Ventura County, is deserving of mention in a work of this character. A sketch of his life will be found of interest, and it is as follows:
Mr. Percy was born in Scotland, August 16, 1850. He is one of a family of four sons, and his parents, John and Rebecca Percy, both English people, came to America and settled in New York the year following his birth. The father was a brick-layer and a contractor and builder. When the subject of this sketch was five years old, his father started to California, via Cape Horn, and died while en route. Young Percy was also deprived of a mother's care at an early age, her death occuring when he was twelve years old. He then made his home with Mrs. Sells, in Iowa, for three years, after which he started out in life for himself, and worked on a farm in Iowa until he was twenty-one. At that time he went to Wyoming and was employed on a stock ranch one year. He then turned his attention to the exciting business of trapping beaver and hunting buffaloes. This he followed two years, being in partnership with Mr. Stephen Stone. They found a market for their game in Denver, and when the meat was not worth shipping, they hunted for the hides, seeling them for from $1.50 to $3.00 each. During the two years they spent in hunting, they killed 1,300 buffaloes; and it was estimated that there were between 2,000 and 3,000 men engaged in the business at that time, 1872 and 1873. Beavers were quite plenty on the South Platte from Greeley, Colorado, to Julesburg, same State; and they caught 150 during one season, and sold the hides for $1.50 to $5.00 each.
Mr. Percy next turned his attention to mining, in both Urah and Arizona, and was engaged in that business six years, sometimes making and sometimes losing money. He has been in all the mining excitements of the coast, his principal interests being in quartz mines. In the fall of 1874 he was working on the McCracken mine, having had the first contract on that celebrated mine; and, while working, a ladder broke and he fell fifty feet, which resulted in a broken ankle and his being laid up at San Francisco a year for repairs. Upon his recovery, he prospected in the Tombstone district, Arizona, and there located some good mines, among the rest the Burleigh mine, for which he was paid $30,000, being in partnership with his brother Hugh at this time. The parties to whom they sold the mine were afterward offered $100,000 for the same, and refused it.
After selling the mine, Mr. Percy went East, and, in 1881, was married to Miss Cora DeNice, a native of Iowa. He returned to Arizona with his bride, and engaged in the cattle business, in company with his brother Hugh. After continuing in that business six years, he sold out and came to Ventura County, California. He purchased seventy-five acres of land adjoining the town site of Saticoy, and is here engaged in agricultural pursuits. He has twenty-five acres devoted to apricots, five to prunes, and ten to oranges, lemons, apples, and a variety of other fruits.
Mr. Percy has three sons, and his brother, referred to in this sketch, also has three sons. Mr. Percy is a Republican and cast his first presidential vote for Mr. Harrison. Previous to this time he had lived in the Territories, and consequently had no opportunity to vote for President before.
H. Polley is a pioneer of the State of California, and hailed from Waltham, Massachusetts, where he was born December 22, 1822. His father, Elnathan Polley, was a native of the same place. Their ancestors were Welsh people, and were among the earliest settlers of New England. His mother, Marian (Brigham) Polley, was a native of Massachusetts, of English descent. They have the genealogy of the family back to the old barony of Bludgehouse, England. Mr. Polley had eight brothers and sisters. Five of them are still living, three older than himself. He was reared and educated in Massachusetts, and learned the machinist's trade, which he followed in the East. In 1851 he came to California. He engaged in milling in Sacramento in 1852, and has the honor of grinding and putting up the first sack of merchantable flour put up in that shape in the State. After four years in the mill, he engaged in contracting and building, and also did some farming. In 1876 he came to Ventura County, and became a rancher and thresher. In 1884 he purchased his present home property, erected buildings, planted trees and otherwise improved it, and is now engaged in raising barley and fine horses.
Mr. Polley was married in 1843 to Miss Charlotte Ann Kellom, a native of New Hampshire, born at Hillsborough, September 6, 1824. To them were born nine children, four of whom are now living: Martha K., married U. Y. Saviers, and resides in Texas; Charles H., born in 1859, married Miss Ren Cunningham, and has two children. He is his father's business partner, the firm being Polley & Son. George F. was born in 1861, and is now a resident of Ventura County. Porter L. was born in 1865; is married and resides in Colorado. Their sons were all born in California.
Mr. Polley resided in Sacramento during the exciting times of the Vigilant Committee, and aided in the organization of the Republican party there; ran on the ticket for a member of the State Assembly, and stumped his district for John C. Fremont, the "Pathfinder." They wer both stoned and clubbed. He lived in Mendocino during the war, and it was about as much as a man's life was worth to announce himself a Republican. At a meeting held in Sacramento city, the Republican speaker, Henry Bates, was rotten-egged. Mr. Polley saw a chief justice throwing eggs, and a county judge paraded in front of the stand with gun in hand, swearing that he would shoot the first Republican that would open his mouth. There were at one time three tickets in the field, and nine candidates met at one place. They agreed to hold a discussion, each one to have fifteen minutes' time. Among other things they were to express their opinions on the action of the Vigilant Committee. Mr. Polley said: "I will say one thing, and no man can gainsay it. Every man that the committee hung was a Democrat, and every man they banished from the state was one, and I hope none of them will ever return." Those were exciting times in California, and people of the present can scarcely think it possible that such a state of affairs could have existed. Mr. Polley is a Master Mason. Notwithstanding the fact that he has seen and been through the early turbulent times of the State, having lived here thirty-nine years, he is still quite a young-looking man.
W. E. Ready was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, October 25, 1849. His father, W. G. Ready, was born in the same county, and was a farmer all his life. His grandfather, Lain Ready, was a native of Delaware, was reared in Georgia, and removed to Cincinnati, Ohio, becoming a pioneer of that party of the country. Mr. Ready's mother, Margaret (Houston) Ready, was born in Cincinnati, and was the daughter of Robert Houston, a merchant of that place. His grandfather Houston was of Scotch-Irish extraction, and came from the north of Ireland. The subject of this sketch was the fourth of a family of twelve children. In 1861 he left Cincinnati and went to Keokuk, Iowa, and engaged in farming there until 1866. At that time he removed to Northern Missouri, then to Colorado, in 1877, being engaged in farming the most of the time. After a year spent in Colorado, in the spring of 1878, he came to California, and in September settled in Ventura. He worked by the month for four years, and then bought forty acres of rich farming land located two miles and a half east of Ventura. He has built upon it and improved it, and is now engaged in the production of Lima beans. This crops has proved quite remunerative, the average production being from 1,600 to 2,000 pounds per acre, and the present price four cents per pound. The average price is about three cents.
Mr. Ready was united in marriage with Miss Martha Seward, daughter of A. D. Seward, a civil engineer. She was born in Indiana. They have four children: Charles E., born October 2, 1883; Virgil E., November 16, 1885; Gracie M., January 20, 1887, and Lester, December 8, 1888. Mr. Ready is a Republican. Both he and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.
C. G. Redrup was born in Cleveland, Ohio, February 29, 1844. His father, Joseph Redrup, was a native of England, born in 1813, came to America when a boy fifteen years of age, and lived in the United States sixty years. Mr. Redrup's mother, Evaline (Robinson) Redrup, was born in the State of New York, in 1814. They had a family of eight children, the subject of this sketch being the fifth. He received his education in the public schools of Mansfield, Ohio, and in 1872 became a book-keeper, holding that position five years. he then engaged in business for himself, dealing in machinery for nine years. In 1881 he married Mary E. C. Brown, a native of New Jersey. Mrs. Redrup, having poor health, preceded her husband to California, hoping to receive benefits. She purchased a valuable tract of land in Ventura, which, if it had not been for difficulty with the title, would have sold for a fortune during the past five years. Since Mr. Redrup's residence in Ventura he has been engaged in building, and has erected a number of houses. Since the title to their land has been settled, he is carrying on farming operations. Their property is in a fine location and will soon be very valuable.
Mr. Redrup is a member of the Baptist Church, in Ohio, and his wife is a Presbyterian. In politics he is a Republican.
W. H. Reilly, a native son of the Golden West, and the youngest Sheriff in the State, was born in Yuba County, California, June 15, 1861. His father, M. J. Reilly, a native of New York, came to California in 1849. His mother, whose maiden name was E. J. Linn, is a native of Illinois. M. J. Reilly, after a residence here of only two years, died, in 1876, in San Buenaventura. W. H. Reilly, the subject of this notice, was the eldest of the children, was educated in the public schools of San Francisco and Ventura, completed a course in a business college. April 10, 1889, he married Miss Mae Beck, a daughter of Hon. Thomas Beck, who was Secretary of State of California. In November, 1888, Mr. Reilly was elected Sheriff of Ventura County, on the Republican ticket, by a majority of 352, which was far ahead of his ticket. Not long after he assumed the office to which he had been elected a circumstance occurred which demonstrated that the county did not make a mistake in his election. At noon, on April 23, 1889, the desperado James McCarthy entered the bank of William Collins & Sons, and, leveling his pistol at the clerk, ordered him to hand out the money. The clerk instantly dropped below the counter and ran out the back way. The robber seized what money he could get quickly, amounting to $4,000, and was making his escape when he had a horse to mount. Mr. Reilly heard the alarm, thought it was a fight, rushed into the street and saw the robber, who turned when the sheriff was within ten feet of him and snapped a forty-four caliber Colt's revolver at him. Unfortunately, the sheriff was unarmed, but had the presence of mind to rush into a hardware store, seize a shot-gun and load it, and succeeded in overhauling McCarthy, made him surrender, took his money from him and safely landed him in jail, where he was safely kept until he was tried and sentenced to State's prison for eight years. That was indeed an act of courage and promptness worthy of any officer, no matter how skillful. The sheriff of a California county is also tax collector. The total taxes collected by Mr. Reilly in 1889 were about $159,000. He is a man of character and marked ability, and is destined to be successful in his undertakings.
Mr. Reilly belongs to the I. O. O. F., K. of P., A. L. of H., and N. S. G. W., of the last of which he was one of the organizers and a charter member.
Messrs. Lee & Rice. - As one approaches the town of Santa Paula in any direction he will see a star on the stones and boulders, and when he arrives in the city he will find several stars in front of a neat and tasteful clothing store. This is the Star Clothing House of Santa Paula, the firm being Lee & Rice.
F. E. Lee, of this firm, was born in Detroit, Michigan, March 23, 1859. He is the son of John L. Lee, who was born in England and came to the United States in 1850. Mr. Lee was educated in the city of Lansing, taking a thorough course in a commercial college. He commenced business as a pressman, in the State printing office at Lansing, and was engaged in press work there for five years. Then for a time he was in a store with his brother, in Lincoln, Nebraska, after which he spent five years in Chicago, on press work. From there he came to Los Angeles, California, and held the position of foreman in the press-room of the Times office, five years, until he came to Santa Paula. Mr. Lee is married to Miss Balcom, one of the fairest young ladies of Santa Paula, daughter of W. E. Balcom, a wealthy and influential citizen of Santa Paula.
J. C. Rice, who is manager of the store with Mr. Lee, was born in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1854, and completed his education at the Michigan State Normal School, at Ypsilanti. He has had experience in the clothing business with the best wholesale houses in the East, and in Los Angeles, both as a salesman and traveling man. He has thus gained a knowledge of the cost of goods which is of much value to him in their present business. Mr. Rice was married, September 22, 1889, to Miss Fanny M. Baker, daughter of C. N. Baker, a prominent resident of Santa Paula and a member of the Board of County Supervisors.
These gentlemen are both talented business men. They established their business in Santa Paula September 22, 1889. They purchased the building in which their store is located, in the business center of the town, have a fine stock of goods, and quite an extensive trade. Both Mr. Lee and Mr. Rice are Republicans and both are worthy members of the K. of P.
Thomas A. Rice, a prominent and influential citizen of Ventura County, came to California in 1859. He comes of a good old Southern stock, which originated in England, his great-grandfather Rice having come from England to this country and settled in North Carolina. To him was born a son, Archibald, who wedded Miss Richmond, whose ancestors were the founders of Richmond, Virginia. To them was born a son, William. He married Miss Louisa Ish, a native of Tennessee, and daughter of William Ish, also a Tennesseean. This worth couple were the parents of seven children, of whom the subject of this sketch, Thomas A. Rice, was one. He was born in Jackson County, Missouri, January 24, 1849. His ancestors, on both sides, participated in the Revolutionary War. One branch of his maternal ancestry is among the oldest Virginia families.
When Thomas A. was ten years of age, the family removed to California, coming across the plains and bringing with them 1,000 head of cattle. Here the father was largely engaged in stock-raising, both in Merced and Contra Costa counties. They had 2,000 acres of land in Contra Costa County, where the family resided, and where the father's death occurred in 1885. He had been a Democrat all his life, was a strict member of the Baptist Church, and was a leading and prominent man. He was possessed of those generous and courteous manners so characteristic of the Southern gentleman. It was said of William Rice that he lived an exemplary life.
Thomas A. Rice received his education in a private school at his home, and began life as a farmer on his own fine ranch, in 1876. His father had given him 470 acres, and to this he has added until he now has 900 acres in one body, located seven miles northeast of Hueneme and ten miles southeast of Ventura. He has converted it into a magnificent ranch; has a whole village of ranch buildings on it and his own school-house. He has recently built the finest residence in the county. It is artistic in design and is planned with every modern comfort, including electric bells, gas and hot and cold water. Mr. Rice is carrying on general farming, and is much interested in the breeding of fine horses, both driving and draft. In addition to the property already described, he also owns 320 acres of land about two miles from his home ranch, which is leased and which is being cultivated to beans and corn.
In 1877 Mr. Rice was united in marriage with Miss Lilian Flournoy, a native of Santa Clara County, California, daughter of Thomas Flournoy, now a resident of Danville, Contra Costa County. Their union has been blessed with four children: N. Blanche, Madge, P. Alvin, and Merrill. They are being educated at home by their governess. Mr. Rice does not give much attention to politics, but is a Democrat, and has held the office of Supervisor. He inherits those generous traits of character for which his ancestors were distinguished; is affable alike to both stranger and friend, and is much respected and highly spoken of by his fellow-citizens. November 4, 1890, he was elected to the State Assembly, on the Democratic ticket by a majority of 175. He ran 300 ahead of his ticket in his county, Ventura, the highest compliment ever paid to a candidate in that county.
W. D. F. Richards, founder of the town of Saticoy, was born in Fairfield, Herkimer County, New York, March 8, 1838. His father, Benjamin Richards, was a native of the same State, born June 30, 1800. Mr. Richard's grandfather, Joseph Richards, was born in Connecticut, and was a soldier all through the Revolution. His mother, Hepsey (DeForest) Richards, is a native of the State of Connecticut, was born June 20, 1800, and is still living in Oneida County, New York. She was the granddaughter of Joseph DeForest, a Huguenot, who fled to America to escape persecution in France, his native land. He bequeathed the DeForest fund to Yale College for the education of any of the DeForest name. Mr. Richards, our subject, was the sixth in a family of nine children, only four of whom are living, and was educated at Fairfield Academy, one of the oldest institutions of the kind in New York. He came to California in 1868, and bought 650 acres of land, where he now resides. He was one of the first to raise flax-seed, of which he raised over 100 tons on 200 acres of his land; he was also a pioneer in the raising of canary seed, raising 3,000 bushels in one year, and selling it at from three to five cents per pound. He is now farming a portion of his land to Lima beans and 100 acres has been set the present year to English walnuts. Mr. Richards had the town plat of Saticoy recorded March 25, 1887. He has since sold many lots, and there are many pleasant homes in the town. The station is within half a mile of the town, and they have an abundance of good water and a handsome Presbyterian Church edifice, of which Rev. J. M. Crawford was the first pastor, and the Rev. Dr. Bowman present pastor. Mr. George R. Walden is the obliging postmaster and druggist, and they have two hotels and a blacksmith shop, three general stores, one dentist and two physicians. The town is in the center of the Santa Clara Valley, surrounded by a wide stretch of rich level land, as choice as any in the State; it is located about half-way between Ventura and Santa Paula. The name Saticoy in the Indian language is equivalent to Eureke (Greek for "I have found it") in the English language, and is a very appropriate name for the town.
Mr. Richards was married October 4, 1877, to Miss Carrie Leavens, a native of Trenton Falls, Oneida County, New York, and a daughter of Hamilton Leavens of that State. Mr. Richards is a Republican and a prominent citizen of Ventura County.
Frederick Richardson is one of the reliable and prosperous ranchers of Santa Paula, and a pioneer of this part of the county, having come to California in 1855 with his uncle. The subject of this sketch was born in Jackson County, Michigan, near the Hillsdale County line, June 18, 1849, and was in his sixth year when he removed to the Golden State. He received his education in Solano County, and was reared to farm life. In 1867 he came to Santa Paula, and to his present home in 1876. He at once began the work of planting and improving, and he now has a comfortable home surrounded by bearing fruit trees. He has ten acres of alfalfa for cows, ten acres planted to English walnuts (Lima beans are grown between trees till in bearing), one acre of blackberries, one acre of raisin grapes, four acres of fruit-trees common to the country, including orange, lemon, and Japanese fruits. Two acres are devoted to eucalyptus for fire-wood, and the rest of the grounds are planted to corn, hay and Lima beans.
In 1876 Mr. Richardson married Miss Edith Ireland, a native of Atchison, Kansas, born in 1856, and daughter of Newcomb J. Ireland, who was born in New York. From this union two children have been born: George S., born in Santa Paula, April 17, 1877, and Paul F., born at Nordhoff, December 16, 1881. Mrs. Richardson was a victim of consumption, and in 1881 died of that relentless disease. October 31, 1883, Mr. Richardson wedded Miss Lottie Sewell, a native of New York, born in 1847, daughter of Rensselaer Sewell, of that State. This union has been blessed with two children, twins, Frank R. and Faith H. Mr. and Mrs. Richardson are both worthy members of the Methodist church. His political views are Republican.
George M. Richardson is one of the oldest settlers of Santa Paula. He was born in Kennebec County, Maine, on the last day of the last week of the year, and on the last day of the last month of the year 1821. He was the son of George and Loviey (Robins) Richardson, the former a native of Attleborough, Massachusetts, of English extraction, and the latter was born in Orange, Massachusetts. They had a family of twelve children, of whom five sons and one daughter are now living. The subject of this sketch left his native State in 1836, and settled in the town of Moscow, Hillsdale County, Michigan, just about the time Michigan was admitted into the Union as a State, thus becoming a pioneer of that new country. He bought a farm, built a house and improved the land, and lived there for ten years. He then sold out and removed to Jackson County, same State, where he purchased eighty acres of land and again built and made improvements; and, while there, split more rails than Abraham Lincoln did. In 1852 he disposed of his property in Michigan and came to the Pacific Coast, reaching San Francisco December 31. Upon his arrival here he was short of money, and he and his brother went to Petaluma, having only seventy-five cents left when they got there. They at once went to work in a saw-mill; but, soon afterward Mr. Richardson, observing the high price paid for potatoes, decided to engage in their production, which he did, paying eight cents per pound for seed; at digging time potatoes were so plenty there was no sale for them. He then went to the redwoods and there worked two years at $60 per month; got out timber for himself and others, which was split with a froe, making good siding. After this he rented a place and made enough to buy out a squatter, in the neighborhood of Vacaville. He lived on this place ten years, built a house and made many improvements; and then discovered that the title was not good. After having paid for it twice, he loaded his things in wagons and started for Southern California with his family. Seven of them rode in the covered wagon, which took the place of both wagon and house for weeks while they were traveling; and after they reached their destination they lived out of doors through the day and slept in it at night, until they got the house built. At that time, 1867, there were no houses on the road between Santa Paula and San Buenaventura, and his wife remarked to him, "You have brought us to the jumping-off place now." Mr. Richardson's first house built there is still standing and speaks plainly of pioneer days. It is 16 x 24 feet, one story high, and the lumber, of which it was built was hauled from Ventura. The property is located three-quarters of a mile southeast of the now beautiful town of Santa Paula. When Mr. Richardson located there his neighbor, Mr. Montgomery, lived a mile and a half away; and the Ventura school district was the only one in the county. The first year Mr. Richardson sowed wheat and barley, and the wheat rusted; the second year he sowed again, with the same result; and the third year he did not sow. There was not a mill in the county, and his son Fred went with a wagon to Los Angeles, with wheat and corn to mill, sleeping in his wagon at night, the trip requiring a week's time. The younger boys would go up the Sespe River fishing, and be gone two or three days, returning with plenty of fish and other game. They would take their blankets and go on the top of the mountains at night, in order to be ready for game in the morning. A great share of their provisions at that time was venison. Mr. Richardson has been principally engaged in raising hogs and cattle; but at present he is extensively engaged in the production of Lima beans, for which this part of the country is so well adapted.
Mr. Richardson was married July 4, 1848, to Miss Nancy Mull, a native of Ohio. They had one child, Fred, whose history appears in this book. After four years of wedded life, Mrs. Richardson died. And for his second wife Mr. Richardson married Miss Jenette Sims, a native of Indiana. To them were born five children: Emma, who died at the age of twenty-one years; George, born September 21, 1860; Louis, born December 22, 1862; Frank, born April 8, 1864; and Harry S., October 1, 1873. Mrs. Richardson died June 22, 1877.
George Richardson has a ranch of 160 acres adjoining his father's. He married Miss Ida Kellog, a native of Illinois, born December 2, 1860, and daughter of Norman A. M. Kellog, who was born in New York. George and his wife live with father Richardson. They have a family of five children, all born in Santa Paula: George Lawrence, born December 16, 1882; Olinda, June 7, 1884; Charles K., July 27, 1885; Yale, March 6, 1887; and Mark, January 24, 1889.
The subject of this sketch was reared a Democrat, but has been a Republican since the organization of that party. He has been a member of the Methodist Church for thirty-five years. Well has he earned the name of pioneer, having been an early settler of both Michigan and California. By his industry and economy he has acquired a competency, and is now enjoying the fruits of a well-spent life.
C. C. Riley was born in Tennessee, February 9, 1818. He is a son of Stephen Riley, who was a native of South Carolina, and was of Irish ancestry. His mother, Nancy (Walker) Riley, was the daughter of Rev. West Walker, a Baptist minister of Tennessee. C. C. Riley was the fourth of a family of ten children, five of whom are living. He was reared and educated in Tennessee and Missouri, and when he became a man he purchased a farm of 161 acres in the latter State, and was engaged in agricultural pursuits there for seven or eight years. In 1853 he sold out and went to Oregon. He there improved 160 acres of land, on which he lived until 1869, when he again sold out and located in San Luis Obispo County, California. In 1872 he came to Ventura County, bought a Government claim, built a good home and planted trees. The location of this ranch is a fine one. Looking at it from the highway, it presents and inviting and home-like appearance, and plainly indicates the industry and thrift of the owner. Mr. Riley's son, West, is conducting the farming operations, and is a most industrious and worthy man.
Mr. Riley was married in 1843, to Miss Sarah Loveall, a native of Kentucky, and daughter of Abraham Loveall, a Baptist minister. Mr. and Mrs. Riley have had a family of nine children, six of whom are living, viz.: West, Stephen A. Douglas, George B. McClellan, Lucinda, Rachel and Nancy Jane.
At the age of thirty years Mr. Riley was ordained as a Baptist minister, and has been an efficient laborer in the vineyard of the Lord. Recently, on account of advanced age and ill health, he only preaches occasionally. He was the organizer of the first Baptist Church in San Luis Obispo, and has been a leader in many revival meetings. Through his instrumentality many souls have been lead to accept the offers of salvation and obey the Lord's command. Mr. Riley's political views are Democratic.
W. S. Riley was born in Milford, Oakland County, Michigan, October 8, 1839. His father, Charles Riley, came from England, and was a hardware merchant in Milford. His mother, Sarah (Senior) Riley, was also born in England. They were the parents of eleven children, the subject of this sketch being the eighty child. He was reared and educated in his native town, and arrived in California September 5, 1861. After spending some months in Sacramento, he went to San Francisco. August 5, 1862, he left the latter place, and landed in Ventura August 6, at eight o'clock in the evening, and has been here ever since. Mr. Riley was first employed by the California Petroleum Company, J. P. Green, of Pennsylvania, being president. In 1873 he started a livery business in Ventura, beginning with a spring-wagon, carriage and four horses; and some time afterward, when he sold his business to Mr. Logue, his stock had increased to twenty horses and fifteen carriages. With Mr. E. S. Hall, he engaged in the real-estate business, making a great many sales and being very successful in this enterprise. He purchased twenty-two acres of land, four miles north of Ventura, where he built a good house and barn and planted a variety of fruit trees.
Mr. Riley was married June 6, 1889, to Miss Janette Wakefield, who was born in Sonoma County, California, August 2, 1869. Her father, Wilson Wakefield, was born in Peoria, Illinois, March 17, 1836. Her mother, Mary (Hickman) Wakefield, was born in Indiana, October 23, 1834. They were both of Scotch-English descent.
W. H. Roach was born in Sanel, Mendocino County, California, February 26, 1860, the son of Patrick and Catherine (Prucell) Roach, the former a native of Ireland and the latter of Detroit, Michigan, of Irish parents. They came to California in an early day and were pioneers of Mendocino County. They were the parents of twelve children, nine of whom are still living. The father has followed farming and stock-raising all his life, and reared his numerous family in the county where he still resides.
The subject of this sketch received his education in the public schools of his native county, and also took a course in Heald's Business College. For four years he was engaged in a meat market in his native town. He came to Ventura in 1888, and entered into partnership with Mr. George Saviers. They have two markets, one at Hueneme and the other at New Jerusalem. Being men well qualified for the business in which they are engaged, they have a thriving trade.
Mr. Roach has held the office of Justice of the Peace at Westport, Mendocino County, for two years, and also Notary Public two years. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Ventura Lodge, No. 214. Mr. Roach is a single gentleman and, no doubt, other chapters in his history will soon follow!
Captain Richard Robinson is one of Ventura County's prominent horticulturists and stock-raisers, having 2,440 acres of land devoted to the above mentioned pursuits. He was for forty years, the best of his life, a seafaring man, most of that time master of a vessel, and has therefore honorably earned the title of Captain. The past eighteen years he has been identified with Ventura County and its interests. It is not a little surprising that a man who had followed the sea for forty years, should at once be transformed into a successful horticulturist, and that, too, in a county where the raising of fruit, when he began, was but an experiment. Mr. Hobart and himself were the pioneers in the business in the Upper Ojai Valley. In 1872 the Captain purchased 440 acres of land, on which he built and planted and improved. He now has forty-five acres in fruit, apricots, nectarines, prunes, peaches, apples, olives, walnuts and oranges, all yielding large returns. He has his own dryer on the ranch. In addition to his fruit interests, he is also raising horses, cattle and hay on this ranch. This property is being managed by his son, Richard O. Captain Robinson has bought 2,000 acres of land on the Santa Ana ranch, ten miles north of Ventura, where he is raising Hambletonian horses and grade Holstein and Durham cattle. He has imported a fine Hambletonian horse and several thoroughbred brood mares, and now has about 150 head of cattle and sixty horses. He also raises hay on this place.
Captain Robinson was born in Thomaston, Knox County, Maine, August 13, 1817. His father, Richard Robinson, was born in North Wales, in 1787, came to Maine when a boy fourteen years old, and was a sea captain, most of his life a master of merchant ships, principally in the cotton trade between New Orleans and different ports in Europe. The last twenty years of his life he was President of the Thomaston Bank. He married Miss Jane Wyllie, a native of Bristol, Maine, daughter of Captain John Wyllie, also a ship owner. They had a family of ten children, four of whom are living, two in California, one in Brooklyn, New York, and one at the old home in Maine. Captain Robinson received his early education in his native State, and at the age of seventeen years began to sail with his father; was two years before the mast, six months second officer, three years chief mate, and after that was mater of the ship Catharine, of which both he and his father owned a part. She sailed between the South ports and New York, Boston, and Europe. The Captain has seen much rough weather, but never lost a ship or had a serious accident. He was married, in 1840, to Miss Mary Wentworth, of Lincolnville, Maine, and daughter of Captain John Wentworth, also a native of that State, and a seaman. Mrs. Robinson sailed with her husband during the greater part of his seafaring life, so he was not deprived of the company of his family. Their union has been blessed with two sons, Richard O. and Charles W., both born at Thomaston, Maine. Charles is now devoting his time to the study of music in Boston at the New England Conservatory of Music. Both the sons are married. The Captain and his family retired from the sea in 1872, after a most successful career, and settled in Ventura County, where they have since resided. In politics Captain Robinson is Republican. He is a quiet, unobtrusive man, never seeking notoriety. He has purchased a neat home on Oak street, Ventura, where he and the partner of his life are quietly spending the evening of their voyage of life's tempestuous sea.
T. J. Robison, one of the prominent ranchers of the beautiful Ojai Valley, was born in Bloomington, Indiana, July 22, 1838. His father, Andrew Robison, was born in Kentucky, July 4, 1800, removed to Indiana in 1826, bought a farm and there reared his family. He was a consistent member of the Church of Christ. His death occurred in 1872. Mr. Robison's mother, Nancy (Smoot) Robison, was a native of Kentucky, and the mother of four children, of whom the subject of this sketch is the youngest. Mr. Robison received his education in the public schools of his native State, and also in the Indiana State University. He learned the blacksmith trade, removed to Ellis County, Texas, in 1859, and there opened a shop which he successfully conducted for twenty-six years. In 1882 he sought a milder climate, arrived in Los Angeles, purchased ninety-five acres of land at Azusa, which he improved by planting fruit trees and a vineyard, and also erecting buildings, and resided there three years. At the end of that time he sold out and returned to Texas. A year later, however, he came back to California, and in May, 1886, came to his present locality in the Ojai Valley, and moved his family here in November of the same year. Mr. Robison is a very successful horticulturist, and is the owner of a fine fruit ranch of 115 acres; three acres are devoted to peach trees, six to apricots, sixteen to French prunes, two to pears, and a variety of other fruits. Twelve acres are in almonds, two in olives, six in raisin grapes, and one in figs. All these Mr. Robison planted, and he has also erected a comfortable residence. He intends to prepare his fruit for market by drying it. The rest of his ranch is devoted to the cultivation of oats, wheat and barley.
Mr. Robison was united in marriage, in 1867, with Miss Laura Douglas, a native of Tennessee, and a daughter of N. L. Douglas, who was born in Charleston, south Carolina. Her grandfather, James Douglas, came from Scotland. Her father was born in 1801, and was a soldier in the Seminole war, enlisting when he was seventeen years of age. During his residence in Texas he was elected to the office of Assessor and Collector. He died in 1873. Mr. and Mrs. Robison have a family of six children, all natives of Texas, viz.: James M., Cynthia E. and Julie E. (twins), Annie, Marion, Ethel and Clara O. Both Mrs. Robison and his wife are members of the Church of Christ. He is a Republican. Was a Southern man, but was for the Union. Through the force of circumstances he served in the Confederate army during the war. People who differ from him in political views give him credit for the honesty of his convictions.
G. F. Rotsler is one of the prominent ranchers of Santa Paula, Ventura County, California. He came from Missouri to his present locality in 1874. Mr. Rotsler was born in Baden, Germany, January4, 1831. His parents were natives of Germany and his father was a machinist. Young Rotsler obtained his education in Germany and in 1849, at the age of nineteen years, came to the United States. he located in New York and worked in a machine shop in Green County, putting up machinery in woolen factories. He next engaged in the manufacture of straw paper, in Columbia County, and after running the paper-mill two years, he built a flouring-mill in Green County, which he ran two years. He sold out, conducted a mercantile business four years, sold it in 1866, and in 1867 went to Missouri. He purchased 130 acres of improved land in Audrain County, and a new house and eight acres of land in Martinsburg. Here for four years he was engaged in agricultural pursuits, after which he again sold out, went into a merchant mill at Mexico, Missouri, ran it three years, then disposed of it, and, in 1874, came to California. He purchased seventy-five acres of land near Saticoy, built and house and improved the property; sold out ten years later; lived in Ventura one year; went to Los Angeles, bought and sold property there; and then came to his present locality. Here he purchased twenty acres of choice land, built a very attractive house and fine barn and has made this property a valuable one. He is engaged in raising Lima beans. Ten acres of this land are devoted to walnuts, and Mr. Rotsler also has a large variety of fruit trees for family use.
He was married in Green County, New York, in 1854, to Miss Sarah E. Golden, a native of that state. They had three children: Georgiana G., born in Green County, New York, married Scott Gibson, and is a resident of Saticoy; Charles D., also born in Green County, died at the age of twenty-three years; and Willie S., born in the same place, married Sarah Middleton and lives in Los Angeles. After seventeen years of wedded life, Mrs. Rotsler died. In 1872 Mr. Rotsler married Miss Hannah E. Lewis, a native of New York, daughter of Abel Lewis of that state. Their union has been blessed with two sons, both born in Saticoy, L. F. and S. L.
Politically Mr. Rotsler is a Democrat.
Gabriel Ruiz is one of the native sons of California, born in Santa Barbara County in 1817. His father, Jose Ruiz, was born in Mexico and came to California many years ago. At one time he owned some land where Ventura is now located, having had a grant of 1,000 acres of land from the Mexican Government for services rendered the government in California. The ancestors of the family were officers in the Mexican army. Mr. Ruiz has a pleasant home and a fine ranch of 151 acres, called the Santa Anita Rancho, and he also owns some lots in Santa Barbara; also in Ventura. He has always lived the life of a farmer and stock-raiser. They came to this locality in in 1879. Here Mr. Ruiz raises Norman and Richmond horses and some fine grade cattle.
The subject of this sketch was married in 1859 to Miss Rafaela Cota, daughter of Balentin Cota, a native of Mexico. They have fourteen children, all born in Southern California, and thirteen of them, at the present writing, making their home with their parents. Their names are as follows: Arthur, Doraliza, Lazaro, Ulpiano, Thomas, Albertina, Anzelmo, Petra Josepha, Lucy, Balentin, Gabriel and Acacia. They have all been sent to the English schools and can speak both the English and Spanish languages. All are members of the Catholic Church. Three of the sons are engaged in business. Thomas assists his father in the management of the ranch and is agent for the Spanish people in the vicinity of Santa Ana, acting as their interpreter and obtaining employment for them. He is also a fine musician, playing both violin and guitar. He and his brothers form a band and furnish good music for social parties. Arthur has a saloon and the best billiard rooms in the county of Ventura. Ulpiano is a freighter and teamster, having a large, strong wagon, to which he drives four, and sometimes six, fine horses. They are a family of intelligent and refined people, and are well worthy the success which is attending them.
A. C. Rynerson was born near Stockton, California, January 4, 1858. His father, C. C. Rynerson, is a native of the State of Kentucky, and crossed the plains to the Golden State in 1849. He took up a Government claim near Stockton, was, for a time, Sheriff of the county, and for a number of years was one of the most prominent men of San Joaquin County. His ancestry came from Germany. One member of the family is a leading medical authority of New York city. His father died in 1887. His mother, Mary A. (Wesley) Rynerson, was born in England, and in infancy came with her parents to America. She was the mother of nine children, five daughters and four sons, only two of whom are now living, the subject of this sketch and his sister, Mrs. Eva J. Leach, a widow, residing at Santa Barbara.
Mr. Rynerson received his education at Santa Barbara, and when prepared to enter the university his eyes became diseased. He afterward took a business course at the Heald Business College, San Francisco, and engaged in the milling business with his father at Santa Barbara. Five or six years later they sold the mill and moved to Arizona, remaining there a year, having, at this time, failing health. In 1884 gypsum had been discovered, and his father returned to California to see it, and purchased 660 acres of land. They have recently sold a mining claim to the Ventura Plaster Company, and the gypsum bed will now be worked. The subject of this sketch has improved the property which his father bought, by erecting a pleasant home and planting fruit trees; he has four acres in French prunes, three acres in apricots, and an assortment of nearly every kind of fruit, including blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries. He also has twelve acres in young olive trees. Many of his fruit trees are now in bearing. Mr. Rynerson sank a well 196 feet deep, in which the water rises to within forty feet of the surface, and he has an engine of his own to pump the water. For sixteen hours in succession the water has run without exhausting the supply. Since coming here, Mr. Rynerson has regained his health, and is now a strong man in a fair situation to enjoy life in his pleasant California home, which is a typical one, surrounded with trees and vines and with the foot-hills making a delightful back-ground to the picture.
Mr. Rynerson was united in marriage with Miss Ida C. Holmes, a native of Wisconsin, and daughter of J. T. Holmes, a farmer of that state. This union has been blessed with three children, two born at Santa Barbara and one at their present home, viz.: Ruth, Edna L., and Margery. Mrs. Rynerson is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Rynerson is a Trustee of his school district, and takes an interest in educational matters. Politically, he is a Republican. Earlier in life he took an active part in the conventions of the party, but more recently devotes his time to his ranch.